How to engrave fine lines in pine

when i try to engrave fine lines in pine that are close together, it knocks out the piece of wood between. Why? and what can be done?

In my experience this is just the nature of pine. It’s a very soft wood which “peels” very easily.

About the only thing I can say is make sure your cutters are super sharp, but even then it’s going to be difficult…

1 Like

I second that, pine cannot really hold any fine detail. You may be able to get decent results with a sharp, acute vbit and a vcarving toolpath. You may also try to apply a layer of clear shellac before carving, this will reduce the risk of tearing out small pieces of wood in-between carved lines.

1 Like

I’ve had some success with the thinner superglue. You could try soaking it into the surface to stabilise it - after you have done one line and before the next one.

1 Like

Spraying w/ a hardening fixative/lacquer can help a lot.

When I have fine lines as you speak of, I use a 20-degree V-Bit. I only have had the wood break in the middle if I try to clean out the grooves.
Pine is a very soft wood and is characteristic in fine standing parts breaking even when sanding.
Have you tried harder wood? You may find it will last longer as well.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.