How to keep lap tops clear of dust when using CNC

Get the carbide dust boot. I get zero dust on anything with an open machine and a shop vac using the dust boot!

1 Like

David,I have the dust boot but now and again I do small cuts without the boot to see if I am OK with the cutting.Just thinking out loud,as well as the boot,something like the principle of the kitchen range hood to capture the fine dust the does get out could be worth looking into?

I disconnect my hose and hold it by hand at those times.

Please don’t do that — it’s not safe to reach into the machine’s working area when it’s under power — also we’ve had some folks manage to kill their controllers w/ static discharge when doing this.

My hose is grounded!
Secondly, we all should be aware of of the danger that is inherent with the use of a router! With the dust boot retracted, my hose end will not come in close proximity to the cutter!
Always use extreme caution!

1 Like

One other thought, Will!
As a retired computer product design engineer (mechanical), the use of fully grounded multilayer printed circuit boards (ground plane and de-coupling capacitors) grounded case works (either coated or fully enclosed in a metal can) continuous grounding from the device (router) thru the cables, to the case, etc will negate ESD!
Electrostatic discharge!

2 Likes

That’s something for the folks who design the boards/machines — I just kibbitz n the forums, help out on tech support some, try to draw things, and every so often, get to cut parts on my machine.

2 Likes

My charger kept mine going. It was also 4 years ago, so I can’t recall the battery life.

I’ll have to check mine as it appears that the current charger is not capable of charging while Surface is in use. However it may be good enough to maintain power which would be OK with battery as fallback.
Time to experiment…thanks for your quick reply.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.