How to review "Carbide Auto Toolpath" toolpath parameters?

I’m trying to learn about the best settings for cutting wood, and I’d like to see what the auto settings are for a particular job.

When I run the Carbide Auto Toolpath, it doesn’t give me an option to look at the toolpath parameters.

Is there a way I can do this?

Thanks

In the Carbide Toolpath Wizard, make sure that the check box at the bottom which reads “Review toolpath settings” is checked. After you hit the OK button you’ll be presented with Toolpath Parameters window.

@Darren

The Carbide Auto Toolpath settings that Carbide Motion generates for the .125in cutter and soft wood are:

For my Nomad these settings were too fast and caused problems with the machine stalling then jumping off the cut path and cutting where it should not be cutting.

When I slowed down the settings, as shown in the screen shot below, based on some great advice from UnionNine on this board, I started getting better results. I have been using the settings shown below for soft wood. I am still experimenting with the settings. They may still be too fast for parts with square corners…

Hi Steve,

Those look pretty good—the only thought I’d offer is that you might want to slow the pencil finish down, to make sure it’s right on the money. 20-24ipm has been working well for me in Poplar.

One of the things to remember is that you can intuitively adjust your speeds based on the machine’s behavior when cutting. If it’s squealing a lot it’s likely that it’s rubbing and traveling too slowly relative to the spindle speed. Blackened wood or molten plastic edges are also a sure-sign of this. If it’s throwing out dust instead of proper chips? also too slow.
If it’s tearing out the wood, jumping around, losing position, etc… or ripping chunks out or cracking plastic, then it’s probably going too fast :wink:

You’re looking for decently sized chips that indicate the right amount of tool engagement, and it should be a fairly uniform buzz when it’s cutting. I’ll try to take some pictures of the results of happy cuts vs. too slow cuts for reference sake.

@UnionNine

Thanks again for the tip. Now that I have better feeds and speeds, and figured out that the parallel pass causes problems unless 3D roughing is checked, I am getting some good cuts and learning the normal sounds that the machine makes. With my replicator 2 I can be down the hall and know if everything is ok or it needs attention by the sounds it makes, I am hoping to learn the Nomad sounds so I know when it is working fine or needs attention. Just three days into this, and I am am learning a lot. Time to step up to some more interesting cuts…