I finally ran my machine!

I’ve been waiting on deliveries, setting up a home for the machine, and assembling, but today I finally ran the machine and cut my first test cuts. The machine worked great! I squared it per the assembly instructions and tuned my y-belts to the same frequency but otherwise did nothing to attempt to dial in the squareness. I think it came out great. I’ll be tramming the head and checking it more but it’s certainly ready to cut most projects as is. I also installed the router speed controller that Felix built and offers on Etsy. I installed it successfully (with some bonus effort) on the carbide compact router even though he designed it around the Makita. I have one little issue to figure out with it still but it turns on and off automatically and takes speed commands via g-code. Right now high spindle speeds spin it slow and vice versa, but I suspect it’s just the difference in the way the potentiometers work between the Carbide Compact and Makita routers so I’ll figure it out at some point. Attached are a couple pictures of the test cut and measurements.

8 Likes

I got my spindle control working right! Now it turns on, off, and sets the speed right. It functions just like a vfd spindle but without the power or precision of a proper spindle. I’m very happy with the unit Felix made.

1 Like

Congratulations. Nothing quite like those first few steps.

I have not been able to use my Shapoeko Pro 4 XXL for several months due to the software from Carbide Create. I was able to us it until CC changed the software and now I can’t do anything I tried this morning to make a simple Catch All Tray that I have made several times in the past. For me that was it I want to sell this junk if anyone is interested

For selling the machine, I’d recommend making a new topic listing it, and noting location and price and what you are offering.

We do have the old v6 available at:

and if you’d let us know the specifics of your difficulty designing at support@carbide3d.com we will do our best to assist.

Hey @scooter Mike, have you thought about trying other software? Estlcam is free (small fee unlocks a wait timer) and I’ve found it works quite well. I design in Inkscape and use Estlcam for tool paths. CC combines some of that where you can create and edit designs and create toolpaths.

If CM is where you’re having trouble, I really love CNCjs. It’s my go to controller/gcode sender. I also am tracking gsender closely and like UGS but waiting on a couple features before I switch over.

I hope you can figure it out by downgrading as Will suggested or trying a different piece of software. The machine and the software are two different things. You happened to buy a machine from a company also making a free piece of software to go with it, but you’re not locked into it. Lots of software options out there.

Start a new thread and let the forum here know the trouble you’re having. So many times I’ve missed something and gotten so frustrated, but then someone here in the community points me in the right direction.

3 Likes

I think that is what I’m running.

Thanks for the info. I am considering Vetric but I’m gun shy with everything CNC related. I really wish that I never bought this crap. Had I known all of the problems I would have I certainly looked at a different brand. There are some companies out there that actually offer real training

I am supposed to have a phone meeting with Nick today but my machine is basically unusable

Hey Mike, I encourage you to not give up! I think you’ll find similar pain no matter what software/hardware you go to - you can definitely pay more and get more. IMO, the team at Cardbide does a pretty dang good job building a supporting a piece of software and they don’t charge for the basic program that will get any hobbyist started. Plus, this forum is one of the most helpful user supported communities you’ll find.

I have 20+ years in the print and signage industry, and have run huge industrial CNCs. It was a leap for me to get a hobby machine in my garage! All kinds of new stuff I had to figure out and learn (or relearn). It can be intimidating, even more so if you don’t have a background to build on.

Do you have a MakerSpace in your area? I found the local Dallas MakerSpace to be hugely helpful. They have a MultiCam and recently got a Shapeoko, in addition to a slew of other tools. Most community maker orgs offer in person trainings, often from beginner through advanced, at pretty reasonable prices. I learned a lot there before I decided to buy my own machine.

You haven’t told us here what challenges you’re having. It sounds software related to CarbideCreate. If you have specific questions or issues you’re running into, you have access to very helpful community here that will do our best to troubleshoot with you and figure out what’s going on. And this is a safe space, absolute beginner through techno-geeks, we’ve all had humbling experiences and are here to help each other.

4 Likes

Hay Dan,
I had a phone meeting with Nick yesterday and he has not been able to fix anything and he sent me 2 files that he said that made a few edits on the parameters and when I opened them they were blank and then he sent another file that cut air.
I appreciate your trying to help me but I don’t think that this junk can be fixed. I have been asking for a refund for a long time but they refused saying that I am out of the return window. I really wish that I knew about this company before ever buying. If I don’t get any satisfaction I will do my best to make sure that the public is aware.
I looked for a Maker Space in my area and I haven’t found any.

Files opening up blank is usually caused by opening a v7 file in Carbide Create v6.

If you will let us know step-by-step:

• what you did
  • what you expected
  • what actually happened

we should be able to work through any difficulties w/ you.

Nick sent me the file I downloaded it as I always did. It went right into motion instead of create. I loaded the file in motion and it was blank. I expected to open a USMC catch tray. Nothing happened it was blank. I don’t know if you are aware of all of the problems that I have had since the software was changed but for several months I have been completely been unable to use my machine at all. I have on several occasions since I first got this junk requested a refund and I was refused. I am at the point of taking legal actions or any other means available to get satisfaction

Can you share the ETSY link for the router speed controller ?
Thanks !!

The above thread is where I found this one. Please note if you go the route I did with the carbide compact router, wiring it up is significantly harder than with the Makita router. But it is possible.

If you’re interested in speed controllers, check out SuperPID as well. I did a full write up of the installation here:

1 Like

The added effort associated with the carbide compact router comes from the potentiometer being soldered directly to the speed control board and the board being partially potted into the plastic housing. I had to remove the board from the router, carefully take the board out of the plastic housing (I used a razor to cut one edge of the housing), de-solder the potentiometer, solder on the signal wires, and then re-assemble. I placed a dab of hot glue to hold the board into the plastic housing since I cut the edge to get the board out. For connections I put the red wire (+5v) to the left terminal, white(signal) center, and black (ground) to the right terminal if you are facing the board with the side you remove the potentiometer from facing you. Felix helped me modify the code and I re-uploaded the new code to the Arduino board to make it operate correctly for the inverted signal as compared to the way the Makita is wired. It was a little experimentation and collaboration with Felix, but we made it work. Attached is a picture of the board removed from the router and plastic housing.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.