I think I bought the wrong VFD

I bought a 220v VFD/spindle kit off Amazon that a lot of people on here requested. Unfortunately, I didn’t realize until today my power coming out of my wall is actually metering at 246v. Any recommendations on how to proceed? I am past my 30 day return window. Will I fry my VFD if I try to use it on my power?

Here is the kit I bought:
VFD CNC Spindle Motor Kits:220V 2.2KW CNC VFD+220V 2.2KW 4bearings 400hz 24000rpm Φ80mm Water Cooled Spindle Motor+220V 75W Water Pump+80mm Motor Clamp Mount+5m Water Pipe (Factory Direct Sales) Amazon.com

It will work. US power is 120v and 240v. On 120v, I have seen from 105v - 128v while working on my own stuff

I measure 247v, its top of nominal voltage. Been running my hdm for months on it with 0 issues. You can do some research on United States mains rms voltages if you would like more confirmation.

What’s the HuanYang model number of that VFD?

Many of them are rated to fairly high three phase voltage but we’d need to check the manual for the specific unit.

HY series, Model HY02D223B.

I sent a message to the seller on amazon. They said if I mail it back to them in Vegas, they will switch out the capacitor to make it “safer”.

OK, so that is definitely a 220V not one of the 380V Three Phase units.

It’s the right size for that spindle, but only rated to 220V.

As Michael and Rob say, there’s always a voltage tolerance range when specifying a utility supply voltage, to allow for variability in where you’re connected on the distribution network. That’s typically at least ±10%, you’re at +12% which has used up the spec tolerance, and, given you’re clearly on a less voltage stable bit of distribution, you may well get spikes well above this.

Given that the HY drives are manufactured to a price and likely don’t have a whole lot of headroom on the component voltage ratings, I’d be more comfortable with one of the 380V Three phase drives such as the HYD02243B in terms of long term reliability.

That said, swapping out the main caps for higher voltage units (probably those from the 380V rated unit) may well allow the drive to operate at higher input voltage indefinitely. The semiconductors may well be the same across many different units.

If the drive does succumb to overvoltage and let the magic smoke out, it’s unlikely to take the spindle with it and you could just buy one of the 243B drives on AliExpress or eBay to replace the dead one, and program it for your spindle. You might want to ask the seller if they can upgrade you to that drive for a fee?

If you’re keeping this VFD unit, I suggest walking through the programming parameters and taking a note of all those that are not the default in the manual so you can program a new one for your spindle if this one goes pop. Here’s a link to the HY manual if you don’t have it https://www.cnc4you.co.uk/resources/VFD%20CNC4YOU.pdf

Thank you, you are a rockstar.

1 Like

One other note, just in case you’re not already aware.

On the output side of the VFD no GFCI or RCD can protect you, the output voltage of the VFD is enough to kill you and the stored energy in the capacitors is more than enough. So please be careful with your output wiring, and make absolutely sure the shell of the spindle is properly grounded, there should be four cores in the wire to the spindle, one should be ground at the VFD and it should show ~0 Ohms to the shell of the spindle. I would not power up a spindle that didn’t have a grounded shell.

3 Likes

MVP. Thanks for the heads up. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.