IDC Bit Feed and Speed

Is this right for the 30 degree Extreme bit from IDC?

Not sure what you are using for a router/spindle but those rpms are probably not achievable. I’d drop them down to 18000.

2 Likes

While the trim routers can spin at 30–32,000 RPM at their max setting, it’s not very pleasant to listen to, and it can be hard for the machine to move quickly enough to take advantage of that kind of cutting rotation speed.

See:

1 Like

Thanks! I thought it was too high. How about this? Rest of it okay?

You have to adjust the feed rate in step w/ the RPM — please read the previously posted link.

Where are you getting those starting numbers from?

I got the numbers from their website.

1 Like

Yup - they have it all figured out in their tool databases “for all benchtop machines.” :wink:

2 Likes

Usual preface, I’m with PreciseBits so while I try to only post general information take everything I say with the understanding that I have a bias.

I’ll try to be helpful here but there’s only so much I can get into with tool specifics without violating the above preface.

While this can be generally true it depends on the tool geometry and size (surface speed). Unless you’re just talking about the sound the router alone makes.

In this case I would absolutely keep the higher RPM if you are able. The issue here is that this is an unknown tip diameter “V” cutter. Judging by their stepover data and product description I’m guessing either an “infinitely” small tip or 0.005" (0.13mm). So you want as much surface speed as you can get in the bottom. The extra surface speed will help with shear giving a better cut or chance to cut for soft materials (like for like without other issues). This is also a single flute cutter so you shouldn’t have an issue being able to use the RPM. Their recommend data (Link) is actually only 0.0013" (0.03mm) chipload which in my opinion is pretty conservative especially for softer hardwoods.

The one thing I don’t see in the data above is a plunge rate. They have that as 20IPM so you might want to check that.

To be clear I’m not endorsing their data. I don’t know enough about the geometry of the tool to even have more of an opinion one way or the other. It would also need to be adjusted for the material being cut.

4 Likes

Thank you. This is amazing information.

I have the Shapeoko 4 XXL. It’s a Makita router but I’m not sure about the spindle.

The router is the spindle.

3 Likes

I’m just gonna delete that comment then. Lmao!

It’s already been saved for posterity.

LOL! That’s hilarious!

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.