Ignoring axis beyond requested x,y,z

I created a chair seat in 3d with seat pockets. Looks great… However to get the seat I want I have to create one point outside the cutting area in order to make it look right and smooth out the depth of the area i need. I don’t want the cnc trying to cut where it’s not needed. Is there a way to tell carbide create to ignore everything outside requested x,y, or z cutting area limits. If not I’ll have to write a program to read the g-code and alter the commands. But don’t wanna do that if it already has it done.

Thanks for the help.

For 3D cuts, I usually offset the outside boundary of the detail I’m carving by 1/2 of the tool dia, and choose that vector to limit the 3D cuts.

When you do a 3D cut, the vector you select is just the outside boundary of the cut. The tool drives along the 3D shape & stays inside the boundary. If you don’t offset & select the 3D boundary, the tool will stop before it gets to the bottom of the cut (Green)

1 Like

Here is the seat I want. However to make it work I have to go way outside of what I actually want to cut. So I need to somehow define the zone I want to cut in.

Thanks for the help…

Take the shape & offset it, outside, by the radius of the cutter (half the diameter)

chop off the bottom, the radius of the cutter below the stock.

Now choose the new vector as your boundary to do the 3D machining

Actually, since this is concave you don’t really need to offset it, just copy it & chop off the bottom.

1 Like

Thanks tod1d.
I’ll give it a try. So basically I use the original x and y values outside the piece wood I want to cut to cumpute the curves. Then cut it off to match the wood piece. I’m new to this, but by cutting it off after I compute ths curve, it will ignore all original x and y outside the wood piece?
Thanks for the help.

Cutting will be limited to/constrained by the geometry which is associated w/ Toolpaths.

So long as that geometry does not extend beyond where one expects to cut, cuts will not protrude.

Ah, my bad. I thought we were just talking about the machining, but didn’t consider the model.
The workpiece in CC actually needs to be bigger than the actual workpiece to model it correctly.
To keep the zero point on the stock, I rotated the design 90°

1 Like

I’m new to the 3d stuff. Ok I’m using x and y points way outside the piece of wood I wanna cut. I need those x and y points to make the seat cut correctly. If I use x and y at the edge of the piece it wants to curve up where your legs would be. So x and y have to be outside. Then it needs to ignore all x and y points outside the piece in the g-code. I guess what I originally did should work. I define the wood piece and get the curves computed on x and y outside the piece, and when it generates g-code all reference outside the bounds of the piece are ignored… Is that correct?

You can do it either way. In the original scenario, since you have the ‘extra’ material in CC at the bottom, it forces the XY zero point to be off the part. You can put your square material on the machine, pick up the lower left corner and set that point to be X0 Y4.
Or like I did in the last example, just rotate the part so the extra is off the right or top so it doesn’t affect the zero point.

You could do it like this to keep the zero point on the corner of your actual stock

Thanks everyone… I just wasn’t sure what cc would in my case. I will do some of the stuff you suggest. But basically it should work. SO… I’m on my way…

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.