I'm setting zero to my wasteboard but it's cutting deep into it

Hello!
I’m using the bitzero to find the XY corner of my stock, then I’m using the bitzero to set my Z0 to the wasteboard height.

I’ve verified this by rapid moving to z=6mm then hitting down 6 times when moving in 1mm increments and it’s perfect.

I’ve set my job up to use the bottom of the material as the 0 point in carbide create.

However when the job goes to cut (run through Carbide motion), it gouges about 2mm into my wasteboard on the final cut.

I can’t understand how this is happening, except if maybe when the machine automatically uses the bitsetter it somehow automatically changes my Z? Does it do that? Actually why the heck does it measure it again after I’ve set the 0,0,0 point? I’ve never understood it.

But yeah, I’m really at a loss, would love some help working out this mystery.

I’ve just tried while having the bitsetter turned off entirely and it still tried to do it. :frowning: I don’t understand it.

urgk… I just checked my file in carbide create, and it was me, I’m dumb. I had set this cut to go below the stock bottom… Sorry all. My bad. I swear I had checked it but I must be blind…

1 Like

Perhaps you had set the cut depth, but then updated the thickness of your stock? That could have left and old, too deep value on the toolpath.

Toolpaths can use the special value ‘t’ in the depth fields, it’s the thickness of your stock and automatically updates if you change the stock thickness.

You can also use expressions, so if you have a toolpath with a starting depth of zero, and the depth as t-.25, then (assuming inches), the toolpath will cut down and leave .25" stock below it.

4 Likes

As my Dad said " Blind in one eye and can’t see out of the other"

That is how we learn, make mistakes. After we make the same mistake a few times it settles in.

Good Luck
Make chips, not dust

1 Like

That’s exactly what I did, you got it! :sweat_smile:

I didn’t know that about the variable though, thank you! That’s awesome!

Ain’t that the truth. Thank you for your kindness!

1 Like

The “t” is very useful. You have to save the c2d file for the update to happen. If you did not know about the t then maybe you did not know about the radius/diameter trick. So if you make a circle you had to enter the radius and not the diameter. Now you can enter the diameter divided by 2 and you get the radius calculated. Here is an example of a diameter.

1.73548/2 you would get a radius of 0.86774.

This is automatically calculated for you without having to go to your calculator and back and forth from the calc to CC and then back which I had to do because half way through entering the number I forgot it. This makes your life much easier. Easier is better for most things that are routine ordinary boring things.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.