Initialisation sequence with BitRunner

Would somebody please explain why, with a BitSetter installed, the initialisation process goes through it’s normal process, then pings the spindle to front and centre, asks for a bit to be inserted, measures it on the BitSetter and pings back to front and centre - only to go through the BitSetter process when starting a job - please?

Wouldn’t it be better (and safer) for the initialisation process to do it’s ‘normal’ thing, waiting at the rear left corner (without a bit installed, as this could/should be removed at the final ‘pause’ stage when the previous job is complete and the spindle travels to the rear of the Shapeoko) for a job to be loaded? Once the new job is loaded, the spindle could then travel to front and centre, prompt for a bit, complete the BitSetter workflow, set stock ‘zero’ manually (or using BitZero) before running the job?

Once the job is complete the bit can be remove during the final ‘pause’ stage, before the spindle travels to the rear of the machine - and less likely to hit anything on the way back.

I’m sure this has been asked/suggested in the middle of other discussions relating to the BitSetter, but I feel I need clarity on why the process is what it is - Sorry :thinking: :thinking:

Hi Peter,

(I’ll assume you meant BitSetter throughout, not BitRunner? )

This has indeed been discussed a few times, and the bottom line is:

• this was deemed by the development team the best solution to cover a number of usecases to make the process user-proof.
  • it is quite debatable, it has been debated (a lot), and to this day the final word from the boss is this.

So for now, should you want an alternative workflow, you would have to use a different G-code sender (don’t tell anyone, but I secretly use either CM or CNCjs with @neilferreri’s probing macros for my BitSetter)

4 Likes

One of my New Years Resolutions: Say what I mean!

To be honest I like simple/logical, hence my investing in all the Bit* add-ons. I don’t really want to have to deal with the intricacies/foibles/politics of this hobby, preferring to just get on with it. It’s a slow process (for me, at least) to design and produce a project without four or five trial cuts before I’m somewhat satisfied with the end product. I’m in awe of the vast array of projects I see on here - including yours, @Julien - and wonder if I’ll ever get to that level as I’ve yet to produce anything ‘significant’. I’m still finishing off the enclosure, for goodness sake!

Perhaps that should be my second New Years resolution :rofl: :rofl:!

Thanks for your comments, though. I guess I’ll soldier on :+1:

Happy New Year to all those who have help me during the start of this hobby - and will help me as I grow into it!

1 Like

I’ve edited the original post, thank you :+1:

1 Like

Sorry, it’s been a while…

As there is an element of intransigence on this from the powers that be, I’m inclined to disable the BitSetter after connecting to the router and prior to intialising it because I still think it’s current operation is potentially dangerous, and I’m not yet confident enough in my own skills or how the machine operates.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.