Inlays in CC Pro

I’ve been using CC to do inlays for some time. The method I use produces good results with sharp details, but is very tedious and prone to math errors. (Actually, it’s me that’s prone to math errors.) At any rate, I’d like to use the Advanced VCarve feature for this to make things easier. Does anyone have specific guidelines for this? I’ve been fumbling around with things to try to get it to do what I want without resizing or using offsets, as I tend to lose details and/or mess up the alignment. Anyone have a good step-by-step for this?

3 Likes

I also sometimes do inlays but v-carving them never occurred to me. I thought the v-bit would make it hard to put the inlay into the pocket since the edges would have an angle less than 90 degrees?

I’ve just been pocketing for the recess, and outer-edge routing for the inlay. For details I use a 0.5mm or 0.3mm endmill. Results are okayish but I guess the shapes I’m routing are rounded which makes it easier. I’m using a Nomad too which is insanely accurate:

1 Like

so if you use a 30 degree or such bit, yes the angles are there, but they HELP. it means that if you’re off a little bit in the cut for whatever reason, you still get a perfect fit…

1 Like

Those are nice! I also use a Nomad and love it. VCarving the inlays allows you to do things that have fine detail and sharp corners. The method I had been using involved using a 0.5mm tapered ball mill with an angle of 5.09 degrees. The results are fantastic, but the process is tedious and involves hand-calculating offsets and resizing the image between the base and the inlay. Advanced VCarve should be a game changer for this. A v-bit with a smaller angle is definitely best for detailed work.

see the tutorial above… still not 100% trivial (the CC folks need one or two more changes for that) but it has gotten a lot simpler

1 Like

Ah… thanks for the clarification!

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.