Is anyone else having bitsetter issues?

I’m pretty sure I’m going to be corrected here, but I think BitSetter only checks for the length of the bit, compared to the length of the last bit - or the initialised BitSetter routine.

The BitZero is the tool used for setting the zero points of the X, Y and Z axes, relative to the stock.

You look to be doing the right things in the right order. You don’t need to set the zero after using the probe.

The only thing that is not clear is how and when the 201 bit was inserted into the machine. The only correct time is when the router comes to the front and Carbide Motion asks you to put a bit in.

Essentially, you can never take a bit out that has previously hit the bitsetter without having carbide motion prompt you to do it.

1 Like

I typically initialize with the 201 installed so when the machine automatically goes to the front and asks for a bit I already have it installed for that first bitsetter reading. After the bitsetter probe I’ll do the bitzero with the 201 still in place.

1 Like

The BitSetter simply compares the current bit to the last time you set Z zero. That is all it does. The BitSetter has no way of knowing actual bit stickout so if you change the bit without being prompted you are no longer going to be calibrated with the last time you actually set Z zero.

During initialization it is ok to put any bit you want in but it will be set to the last time you set Z zero which may have been for your last project. After initialization never change a bit unless prompted by software or by using change tool button. In either case the new bit will be set to the last time you set Z zero.

So if starting a new project let the machine initilize with any bit or change to the one you will use for the new job. After initialization use change bit to put in desired tool. After BitSetter operations jog over to project and set x y and z zero.

After zeros are set and load file and go.

BitSetter is only comparing the current bit to the last time you set Z zero and only setting it properly if you use the cm software prompts WHEN prompted.

Thanks Guy. I feel I am following those rules. After my initialization the machine comes to the front and does ask for a tool to be inserted. I just happen to have the tool already in there so I just hit proceed to use the 201 bit for that first, automatic, required, bitsetter probe. Then I do bitzero with that same bit since I can’t use the 302 v-carve for this process. Then, I start my code and switch to the 302 v-carve bit when CM requests it. It will then do another bitsetter with this 302 v-carve and come to the front again and ask to turn the router on. Once on, I hit continue and off it goes to “try” and start cutting.

This sounds perfectly correct.

From memory, the other times your symptoms have occurred are when the Z-Axis was not set correctly in CM. Each axis type moves a different amount per ‘pulse’. So if you have the wrong one selected and you have not sent the configuration to the machine, CM could be calculating the wrong offset and also sending the bit to the wrong depth.

I did check the configuration in the settings when turning on the bitsetter option. I have the belt driven Z on the XXL so I selected those and sent it to the machine prior so I “think” it’s correct. Was there something else you think I should check?

No, I think that’s all you should need to do. I can’t think of anything else other than accidentally touching the Bitzero whilst it is probing (it’s connected to the same input as the Bitsetter so will give it a false reading)

Also, don’t rest the bitzero on the machine for this same reason.

Support might be your next option if nobody else has any thoughts.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.