Is it possible to do this with a Shapeoko Pro?

If I was primarily making little things like the aluminum block pictured, I’d strongly consider a micromill(or a not so micro vertical mill). I haven’t used one personally, but I had occasion to see them in action once. Purchased a large industrial CNC router from an old fella, and in his shop he had a little room with what I think were Taig and Sherline micro mills and lathes. Despite having a full machine shop, he made little things with little machines for fun. His results were beautiful. I’d guess they had z-travel of around 10". I’ve wanted one ever since… don’t know what I’d do with it though.

I think Taig and Sherline have the same problem as Carbide 3D: they’re US brands and their European distribution and support network is pretty limited.

That does remind me, there’s also Proxxon though. They have a small CNC mill.

We’re talking about Carbide 3D class machines here, they need to be lightweight so Aluminium is a good fit.

If you don’t want a lightweight/compact machine, I think your best options are:

• Convert a manual mill
  • Buy a used VMC
  • Buy a Syil or Tormach
1 Like

I completely agree. But being in the States, I don’t have any European examples to offer. Having had occasion to order small components from DamenCNC and the like, shipping expenses are not trivial.

I suppose I should have qualified my statement further. But I agree, aluminum is acceptable and even desirable. I was able to move this machine, removed from its steel base, with 6 adults. This means you could, with minor disassembly, bring this machine through a standard door way. Great for educational facilities, orthotics manufactures ect ect.

I’d guess the Isel machines vintage somewhere around the early-mid 90’s. Originally it interfaced via ISA, and is now updated to full PCI interface running on current windows system. All THK linear bearings and German manufactured screws, ballnuts, and components. Servo Driven, closed loop, seemingly endless I/O. All factory. Though expensive, I have had no trouble sourcing parts and support, to include full software support. Impressive for something approaching 30 years of life.

My other machines are running WinCNC and Proprietary controls. Despite disparity in age, very little difference in capabilities and ease of use when compared to original Isel interface. The modern Isel machines might even utilize/offer WinCNC now, which by my rough comparison, is very similar.

Anyway, I don’t know what they cost new. But based on the capabilities of a 90’s vintage machine, quality of components and software, industry pedigree ect, I’d guess quite expensive; especially when compared to introduction level products like Carbide3D’s. And once you’ve entered that price space, you have a lot of options. At least here in the States, better options.

I would not say Isel is a Carbide3D class machine. Though, 20-30 years ago, it was probably a close analog… and far more expensive. Compared to the Multicam router currently running behind me, the Isel is a light duty education grade machine. Just like my Shapeoko, I still think its neat, and useful.

It depends which machine you get, they have a rather large variety. They have large machines like their IMG series but they go right down to a little Nomad-like mill. For @marapilo, I think the Shapeoko alternative would be this one. It’s more expensive (2550€ not including VAT, a controller or a spindle) but it’s built with linear rails and ballscrews and has a positioning accuracy specification of ±20µm.

Actually, I think that puts it on pretty even ground with the Shapeoko HDM. The HDM is $4900 including spindle and controller. 2550€ is $3010 USD. If you can fit a spindle and controller into $1890 (totally doable), you’ve got a pretty competitive package.

@marapilo if you can’t wait for the HDM, that isel machine actually looks like it could be a really close European substitute.

1 Like

Just an aside.

I’ve come across a number of micromills and lathes locally, branded differently. And just now came across a neat little micromill with a complete ATC system. Had to check into it. Denford LTD in the UK. I don’t know if they are original manufacture or importer, but looks like Sherline.

Their micro mills are Sherline in a box. If you zoom in on the product image you can see the Sherline badge on the mill.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.