Is the VFD spindle of use to me?

Hi All,

I have a (well loved) S3XXL w/ Z Plus w/ Bit zero and Bit Setter.

I primarily cut hardwood and plywood for crafts and furniture templates. It’s unlikely I’d cut/mill any metal in the near future.

A while back I got rid of my screaming shop vac for a Festool extractor which made my basement much quieter when the machine was running and I find myself thinking about the Carbide 3D VDF spindle for additional noise reduction. (I currently run the Makita trim router).

With the spindle kit, I’d kit:

• quieter run time
  • spindle speed control from gcode

But I’m wondering if there are an additional advantages I’m overlooking. More torque? More rigidity? Less chatter? Less run out (currently using the Carbide 3D collets)?

Anyone in a similar space?

Yes, the VFD Spindle Kit should offer all the advantages you cite — we’ve had a fair number of folks who were reluctant to make the upgrade, but the consensus has been, once you’ve enjoyed digital on/off and speed control, &c., it’s hard to go back.

3 Likes

Quieter: I mostly cut plastic and aluminum on the shop Shapeoko Pro with the C3D spindle. It is quieter on those materials most of the time. If I’m pushing it hard the cutting still makes a lot of noise. But if I’m cutting plastic and not pushing it is WAY quieter than a router. If I’m cutting something like MDF, the difference in sound is less as MDF just seems noisy to cut.

Spindle Control: I like gcode controlled spindle control. The singular disadvantage is that you can no longer adjust RPM on-the-fly. I have good recipes nowadays, so not as much of an issue for me. I don’t know if it is possible, but an RPM override in Carbide Motion would be awesome.

Power: Yes. The C3D router is around 0.9 kw compared to 1.2 kw for the spindle.

Runout: I believe so. It also seems to be more concentric as I had to re-tram the machine after installation of the spindle.

4 Likes

But I’m wondering if there are an additional advantages I’m overlooking

I would add ER collets to that list, the different collets for the Makita router are pricy and hard to obtain where I live at least. So you can use a large range of diameters for a fraction of the price when using ER collet system.
I use my machine mostly for what you do, and adding a 8mm endmill to my woodworking is a gamechanger when it comes to efficiency.

Also its grounded with the same potential as the controlboard, so you no longer have to forget the groundwire and clip when using the Bit Zero.

“Add to cart” :smiley: :smiley:

4 Likes

Thanks for weighing everyone, seems like a good investment this fall (getting up to speed with a laser this summer).

I forgot about 8mm end mills, that’s definitely a plus for cutting 18mm baltic birch.

@WillAdams → do you know if RobotShop.ca will be picking them up in the near future?

1 Like

Please write in to sales@carbide3d.com for information on resellers.

Thanks Will!

I’ll do that.

I’ve never used a router, only the VFD – will a router hold a RPM set point or does it vary depending on how the tool is loaded?

The router speed will depend on up to 3 (4) things:

• the dial setting
  • the load on the unit (but see below)
  • if the unit has an electronic speed control module to maintain a set speed even under load — the Carbide Compact Router and Makita have this
  • the frequency of your electric as supplied by your local grid (this is negligible in effect because the allowed variation is quite small)

Oh, excellent. Thanks for this info.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.