Is this better than the 800Watt version?

That’s just wrong!!!

Maybe I didn’t understand “110v has to work twice as hard to deliver the same power as 220v”. Could you please elaborate?:thinking:

Yep, the HDZ was designed to take 80mm spindle.

I think an 800w spindle is comparable in weight and size to the trim routers used.

The HDZ is well tried and tested on the Shapeoko, and there are no known issues with the added weight.

3 Likes

I believe what @mjmike6988 is trying to say is that anything at 110V will require half the amperage at 220V to achieve the same power. One could interpret this as less “work” to deliver the power but in reality, it is the same power being delivered and the same cost from the power company either way.

2 Likes

But I “heard him saying” that 220V circuits and loads are far superior to 110V circuits and loads - which is just wrong and likely misleading to some. Do you agree, or did I misinterpret what he was trying to say? Maybe he can clarify as I’ve asked him to. :wink:

@mjmike6988
Sorry if I said something that offended you and hope that I don’t do it again! But I think that it’s important to clear this up.

I agree with “For 220v 1000 watts = 4.5 amps/ 110v 1000 watts = 9 amps /Same power just half the amperage” But, if the power system is wired and used properly, the difference in the (negligible) amount of “heat” produced in both 110V and 120V circuits is plenty safe. In the US, the NEC and UL Standards ensure that. “What kills you is AMPERAGE not voltage. So in turn running 220v is Safer.” What kills you fast is electrocution, the risk of which increases with increases in voltage. What kills you slowly is fire, which is more likely to occur if equipment/loads aren’t protected by properly sized circuit breakers or fuses. What damages equipment/loads is not providing them with the voltage they were designed for.

"NOW go down to your ELECTRICAL SUPPLY store (not home depot) and ask them how Voltage correlates to amperage draw and the given benefits from it." I’ve found this to be far more useful.

@Julien, other EU follks
Most residential wiring in the US has 110-120V outlets and breakers rated for either 15 Amps or 20 Amps. What are yours rated for? What are your equivalents to our NEC and UL standards? :thinking:

2 Likes

In France, we have 220V outlets and typically use a mix of 10A, 16A, and 32A breakers on the various outlets. My garage outlets are on 16A breakers. The regulation is called NF C 15-100, but that’s a local French thing, I have no idea how it compares to NEC/UL.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.