ISP Pin 1 reference for v2.2 Carbide Motion controller PCB?

Searched the Wiki and the web for Carbide Motion ISP Pin 1 designation… big fat zero in first brush. Do any of you have a cite for this pin designation? I find no reference on the silk layer nor the pad shapes either (i.e. pin 1 = square vs. round).

I need to reflash my bootloader with my AVR JTAGICE MKII using this “squid connecter” plugged into the UNO ISP header.

2 Likes

No bites or community info, so one must roll-up-sleeves and put 2&2 together, Digging up a 328P pinout along with knowing ISP 6-pin assignments and my trusty DVM, I’ve validated all the ISP connections on the Carbide Motion ISP header and documented it for others who might be asking the same question.

Note that this is a v2.1 PCB picture, but suffice it to say this layout is consistent between rev’s 2.1 thru 2.3 (and I’ve read there’s a 2.4 PCB rev):

Next up, getting a bootloader that’s appropriate. The Arduino IDE allows you to burn a bootloader, however it doesn’t directly support the AVR JTAGICE MKII. There’s an AVR MKII choice in the Arduino IDE and I’ll attempt this bootloader burn.

I also downloaded AVR Studio which does support the JTAGICE MKII, but there’s no intrinsic “burn bootloader” option, hence I’ll try a hex file burn from AVR studio if the Arduino bootloader burn fails.

2 Likes

Success with the JTAGICE MKII, AVR Studio, and the optiboot_atmega328.hex bootloader files. The JTAG to ISP pin numbers are:

JTAG__ISP__ Ref
1 ------- 3 ------ SCK
2 ------- 6 ------ GND
3 ------- 1 ------ MISO
4 ------- 2 ------ Vcc
6 ------- 5 ------ RESET
9 ------- 4 ------ MOSI

Here’s the bootloader “burn” operations in AVR Studio:
https://startingelectronics.org/tutorials/arduino/arduino-uno-burning-bootloader-avr-studio/

Here’s how the squid connector attaches:

With this bootloader in place I can now reflash at will. I’ve successfully made a few setup transfers in Estlcam now and I’ll be reporting my progress in a new Estlcam thread.

1 Like