Issue with Z Axis when doing a Profile Cutout

I’m pretty sure someone has posted something like this, (I did search first). I have a Shapeoko XXL that is less than a year old using a Makita router. I generate the GCode using VCarve Pro 10. I have zero trouble with doing v-carve cuts, these are literally flawless. It’s when I switch to a profile cutout using a 1/4" end mill. What happens is, I load the gcode file into Carbide Create, then when I press “Run”, the machine goes to a starting position and the router bit is raised in Z-Axis to its max and makes that sound where it tries to keep on going up and can’t, (you know that sound, that… grinding sound). Then it proceeds to start its cut but, starts way too deep. An example is a round cutout set to do 6 passes at 0.125 per pass. However, it starts at something like 9/16-5/8" deep. In hardwoods, this is a real problem, even at feed rates of 20 ipm.

I have checked the wiring, all is okay there.
Inside the control box, manually pressing each limit switch shows the LED to light.
The bit is definitely not loose in the collet.
I always start work with a homing sequence and all three axis’ work fine.

What is going on?

Is there some GRBL setting I am missing here?

If so, then how do I set it?

Your retract height is too high.

2 Likes

How do you change that?

I forget what it’s called in V-carve. Maybe in the material setup, there’s a Z1 and Z2. One is your safe height (or something similar).
I can check later.

1 Like

It is called Safe Z and you cange it in the toolpath menu under the material setup at the top. Normally it is set at .125in.

1 Like

Okay, I have no idea what you guys are referring. There is a “Materials Management” dialog but, I don’t see anywhere to set the Safe Z or the the like.
Screenshot1

Nevermind, I think I found it on the Tool Path tab.