I've been busy.. ship build

Thought you would all like to see the progress on my ship build using the Nomad Pro…

Sorry for the image quality I will take a better one when its light.

I did snap two 0.063 spindles trying to be clever and drilling a 15mm piece of swiss pear, the G code drilled a rough hole with the 0.125 and tried to drill the main hole with the 0.063. Longest job has been around 4 hours for 7 pieces (2 hours each side).

Tim

27 Likes

Incredibly ambitious project, I love it! Can’t wait to see the full thing all assembled. How many parts do you reckon it’ll be? Are you making the whole thing on the Nomad?

1 Like

You make an amazing piece of art there!
Which program did you use for the design?

1 Like

Tim, that is freakin’ awesome! You are doing not just the shape, but a timber-by-timber reconstruction of the frame! I tried clicking “like” twice on your post but the second click cancels the first, so unfortunately only one “like” from me… but :+1::+1:

Randy

1 Like

Mr Hume, yeah I will be building it all on the nomad I’ve got every piece. It’s going to take a few years I think lol.on the keel and frames I’ve counted 1500 individual parts. But it’s a heck of a lot quicker on the nomad than trying to carve myself. In fact I wouldn’t be able to without the Nomad

Xaros It’s designed in Solidworks 2012. Each frame is split into sections /part files and the stock is then drilled through so it becomes the flip frame allowing me to do the max amount of pieces on one bit of wood.

Thanks Randy I’ve been waiting years for a cnc machine small enough to do the job .

Tim

3 Likes

Slow progress after the motor change

Tim

6 Likes

I’ve been a bit quiet on here lately but here is an update. Test fitting frames onto keel, all made with the NomadPro

5 Likes

I love this project! You really ought to think about doing a time lapse of the assembly, I’m pretty sure it would be incredible.

2 Likes

@MrHume I will have ago at that :blush: thanks Tim

1 Like

This is shaping up to be the best Nomad projects ever timtom1.

I’m well impressed!

2 Likes

I’ve been messing around with the settings and have lost the smoothness I had before on the above parts…

Here are the current settings

Is it the finishing passes that need to be lower values?

Thanks

Tim

How’s this going? Haven’t seen any updates recently, would love to see how it’s coming along.

Sorry still making this project but I am currently doing another Degree whilst at work so its slow progress.

I am also making my fiancé a birthday present on the nomad as we speak.

sorry for the late reply.

Latest pic lots of frames, all done on the nomad and glued together. What I have done is cut down the parts to 3 or 5 pieces each so its easier to cut and glue the parts to make a frame.

Note the frames are just stacked on top of each other for storage not glued together. 60 more to go, each one takes 4 hours to cut 2 hours A and B side. In an 8 hour day I can make 4 frames when I have time…

Tim

4 Likes

Tim, I’m sorry, I missed your post about the finishing passes. I’m no woodworker, but the feedrate on the finishing looks pretty fast to me. The stepover is about 1/4 the toolbit size so that seems OK to me. Your project is looking great!

Randy

Hi Randy

no problem I’m happy with the finish pass and I will sand them when I’ve done all the frames.

I will keep plodding on

Thanks

Tim

still going with the frames nearly there now. I’ve had a break for a bit due to organising my wedding need to make the stern post again and deadwood stern and bow pieces. I think it will be the 6th time I’ve made the stern post because of different ways of making it. Can’t wait to glue it altogether…

4 Likes

Just wondering, but why not cut the sections (ribs) as whole sections as opposed to bits stuck together?

AIUI, the point of models such as this is to learn the principles of ship construction. Besides, details such as this make for a better model (says the guy who as a kid would cut holes into the wings of model planes, build ribbing using balsa wood, and create little dioramas of airplanes on taxiways being worked on).

There’s one which is provided as paper, but when assembled is about 5 ft. long and is used by mariners to earn certificates in understanding a particular ship design.

7 Likes

Thats understandable. I remember wanting one of these kits when I was a kid but I do not have the patience to cut out every bit then stick together :smiley:

1 Like

I like the fact it will be ribbed out individually it will look better, I have taken short cuts on a few pieces that I can’t get exact but most of it will be piece by piece

3 Likes