Job Zero - Cutting or Shank Diameter?

Hello,

I work with small stock and so I’m often unable to use Bitzero, and instead, manually adjust to job zero. In doing so, does job zero factor to an endmill’s cutting diameter, or the bit’s shank diameter?

It seems as though if I use the #102, for which the cutting and shank diameter are the same, then things work just fine. But if I use the #122, which has a shank diameter of of 0.125" but a cutting diameter of .0312", then the cut is off.

Many Thanks

Hi Michael,

The reference point is the center of the endmill (or the axis of the spindle, if you will).
How are you setting X/Y zero manually ?

2 Likes

Hello,

I use a small piece of flat wood to try to align the X and Y axes to the center of the endmill, but have had varying success. Any suggestions for a better method?

Getting the Z axis is no problem, though, as I place a piece of paper on the stock, lower until the endmill no longer allows me to move the paper.

Many Thanks!

When doing it by hand, I usually install an acute V endmill and use the tip of that to set the origin.

6 Likes

Depending on the small object you are milling, you could also consider milling a shallow pocket in a sacrificial material, then insert your stock/object there. That way you remove the issue of finding X0 Y0 completely. Just set them anywhere, mill the pocket/jig, and reference everything to the center of that pocket in the CAM.

2 Likes

Will,
That is so simple. Staring me in the face and I couldn’t see it.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.