Just a quick birthday gift

My buddy and I are pushing 40, but toilet humor will always be funny to us.

I had to do a couple coats of white acrylic paint, but should I prime first or just go this route? I am super impatient and always use a hairdryer between coats.

8 Likes

Primer makes a better finished product. Some times it takes several coats of paint without primer to get coverage.

Many new paints have primer and top coat together. Stay away from those. A good primer is best.

A lady on YouTube said her best seller in her etsy shop last year was “Have good Poo” sign.

Thanks for the feedback! I’ll have to try priming in the future. Do you think a spray primer and an acrylic paint that’s brush applied would be ok? I would like to get into spraying more for quicker, even coverage, but I don’t have a good method to control overspray and not make a mess.

Spray primer is ok. I like the Zinzer in the rattle can. Just shake it up well. I had a router table I built from 2x4 material. I painted it red and it took 3 coats to get rid of the grain. I built another one and primed it and it just took one coat of red paint. As I said earlier the newer paints are primer and paint together. I would stick with primer and then paint. Most modern paint is acrylic based so the hobby store acrylic paint works very well for detail stuff. I use the acrylic paint I get at Hobby Lobby in my airbrush for larger projects but just use a brush for smaller stuff. I like the water cleanup of the brush and/or airbrush. Just let acrylic paint dry well before sanding o r you wind up with paint mixed with saw dust.

2 Likes

Good to know! I have a really nice badger airbrush, but I’m so completely awful with it and don’t have the confidence to not make a massive mess. I struggle with thinning the paints enough to flow. Perhaps I need to revisit this! I usually take a hairdryer to dry the paint faster. I could use a heatgun but worry I’ll melt something!