Laser for Shapeoko XXL

Looking for information on a laser engraver for a shapeoko xxl router what is a good one to get just for wood, and what programs do they use

https://jtechphotonics.com/

Is a popular option for turnkey Shapeoko mounted lasers; use in conjunction with LightBurn software which is really affordable and feature rich.

1 Like

I bought this one
KIHIGHPO Laser Engraver 5.5W A5 Pro Fixed Focusing,Cutting Machine,Compressed Sp

For $195 and free shipping it has a 5.5 watt diode laser. Not turn key to add to the shapeoko but it wouldn’t take much to add this module to the Z axis.

P.S. If you don’t buy for the black friday special search, I paid $195 for mine 2 months ago.
They shipped mine from Texas, took 2 days to get, company is I believe in Hong Kong.

I was going to buy another one just because of the price, plus I have already made some fun things learning it’s capabilities.

If i went with jtech laser what would be the burning capability between the lasers, i want one that will engrave into wood fairly deep

I have the 4.2 watt JTech and its done surprising well for me. With multiple passes and a slight focal adjustment between passes you should be able to get fairly deep.

The only draw back I’ve encountered is with the shroud around the laser. Its big enough that engraving in a pocketed area may not be possible without hitting the sides of the pocket. The focal point is 1/8" between the bottom of the shroud and your work piece so slightly less than that is all you’ll have to work with.

The 4.2 watt unit will engrave powder coated metal fairly well but if you plan on doing much of that I’d opt for the 7 watt unit.

The flag is engraved on powder coated steel, the image on powder coated aluminum. The USNavy is also on steel.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.