Lightburn Print and Cut Feature

This demonstration of Lightburn’s print and cut feature is hugely impressive. It was capable of recovering a partially cut file by some super smart method. I would like to see this kind of feature added to Carbide Create and would hope that it makes its way into the software.

1 Like

Quite interesting, I didn’t know about that feature. The thing though is that it works because Lightburn is simultaneously a vector design tool AND a G-code sender, so it can both let the user pick a set of reference points on the vectors, let the user manually jog over those points on the machine using the laser dot as a visual reference, and then do the math to rotate & shift the design, to send modified g-code commands to the machine.

Since Carbide Create does not handle the g-code sending itself, the workflow would not be as integrated. I think this would rather be implemented in Carbide Motion itself, but obviously that would require some kind of g-code display function, and a way for the user to click on point of the toolpath (which, by the way, could also be a way to manage a “start from that point” feature for interrupted jobs, but I’m diverging)

In the absence of a laser dot, the manual jogging/positioning would require something small and pointy to be mounted in the router (vbit or tiny endmill), so that’s one more step too.

On a CNC most of the time one is able to detect a mistake before taking the part off the wasteboard, and re-generate a modified toolpath, using the same zero as before, and then there is no need for any of this. But for times when I did notice something wrong after removing the piece, that would have been quite handy indeed.

1 Like

Yup, very sweet implementation of a recovery mode, where a partial cut is discovered. It was amazing that the workpiece was removed from the laser and then replaced elsewhere on the baseboard; to demonstrate the principles behind the corrective measures.

I would wish to hold out for a combined software implementation that would encompass CC, CM and the sender. In that way the creator (CC) could be used to restore the start point. What I thought especially clever was that it made no difference to the re-cutting. Keeping the points apart to permit the smallest possible variation in the pattern was an outstanding implementation. The subsequent re-cut was perfect. It was a very impressive demonstration and I am delighted that I have Lightburn for my laser work.

Being able to use the technique to start from a previously stopped point (deliberate stoppage or fault stoppage) would be a great addition to CC/CM.

Of late, I always record the starting X,Y, Z coordinates from the machine position readout. Missed steps and belt tension notwithstanding, a permanent and persistent readout could be displayed in CC (under the tools) and in the event of a stoppage, the user would know how to get back to that position. I am thinking of folk like myself who don’t want to go digging around the G-code to try and make things work. This readout, if accurate, could potentially eliminate something small and pointy being required.

I would think that it would have many different functions if the system of halting at a chosen point in the process of cutting and then reinstating it at will, were to be implemented. Rather than the pause, which is an incredibly blunt instrument, it would bring a helpful degree of functionality and refinement to CNC operations.

So would I. I’m sure there’s a reason Carbide3D did it this way - maybe MeshCAM needed it, but I don’t know the provenance of the software - but it would be better combined, and maybe less prone to ‘user’ error?

Most of the time I use registration blocks and can place the work back into the cnc.