Likely Change to Carbide Motion

After homing, the spindle comes forward and stops. You can change tools, or not, if you need to. There’s no need to hit the Change Tool button, though we will keep that as a shortcut to bring the gantry forward. (For the time being)

3 Likes

@neilferreri How does this “likely change” compare to your tool-change macro system? :smiley:

2 Likes

When a job is finished, and the machine has been turned off. I will (most of the time) remove the bit and the collet, clean them and then put them in my bit storage box.

The next time I go to use the machine for this example lets assume the following weekend. I will turn on the machine and during the initialization process when it (currently) asks for a bit, I install the collet and bit for whatever that job needs. After the initialization process I then set the zeros for that job.

If I understand this change correctly, me removing the bit after the first job will result in a loss of Z zero?

Seems like a much more streamlined work flow and a good upgrade. Unfortunately there will always be people who won’t like it because it is different.

Correct.

Z-zero is affected by the tool stickout — if you’re not using a BitSetter to measure the tool length offset and adjust for it, changing the distance the tool sticks out will change the zero.

Like the streamlined change will be welcomed here, looking forward to the release.

1 Like

This is great. As a new user (and software developer that wants variables declared close to where they are used to reduce the opportunity for scope errors) the previous/traditional workflow is very confusing for zeroing and subsequent compensating for tool stickout after a change.

1 Like

Less time wasted is always a good idea :+1:

i bought my machine used and figured the tool measure on initialization was something I could bypass rather than do twice, but just did not know how. Getting rid of that only has upsides for me!

1 Like

YES! PLEASE DO THIS. Not all users are pros.

Nice change for the better

Sounds like a great change. Thanks for the update!

Zeroing the z-axis is currently the flakiest part of using my Shapeoko 5 Pro. It seems like the z-axis zero is forgotten if I ever decide not to measure the tool every time Carbide Motion suggests it, despite the fact that I am only using 1 end mill that I measured when the machine initialized.

This is a welcome change!!! I see no upside to the previous implementation and will be very happy to have this change.

1 Like

Would this be an automatic update or is there going to be a download?

A download.

The newer versions seem to prompt about the availability of updates, so one would click on that UI element, then go to the download page, &c.

2 Likes

Looking forward to this!!!

Some time ago I contacted you guys, via one of your YouTube videos, asking why the machine measures the tool FIRST and then work flow starts and then it measures AGAIN. I am glad the needless redundancy will be removed. Thank you.

1 Like

In my honest opinion this is a great change. I’ve been batching a lot of projects recently, and the pop-ups and tool changes really add up and amount to a significant amount of time in the end. Not to mention that every dialog box is another operator action that needs tending to.

Looking forward to the release of this version of CM.

1 Like

Personally I split my project on several files. I keep files (toolpath) under 60 minutes. I am not sure to understand every changes because of my workflow habits. However I see only positive things out of those changes.

2 Likes

Don’t see the need for a change