Looking for table for HDM

Looking to buy a wood top table to install my future HDM and then build a cover for it. Any recommendations? For both a table and enclosure.

Here’s the one I made. Details are in the link. Instead of a wood top, I used strut channel. All of the mess created can be easily raked off and funneled into a trash can. I haven’t made an enclosure, but eventually I’ll make one out of strut channel which is cheaper than extruded aluminum. The whole thing is very stable.
Table
Linky

2 Likes

Awesome. Thanks a lot.

Rockler has tables similar to the one in the picture. They have all the parts you want in different sizes to make a semi-custom table. The top looks like unistrut they use for electrical construction.

Another place for the aluminum material is openbuilds. They have all the parts and connectors to make a nice looking table. They also have enclosure kits made out of the same materials.

One other thing is I’m extremely happy with the table. The only thing I think I’d do differently are the casters. The ones I got are very heavy duty, but the more expensive ones from the same manufacturer have a ratcheting mechanism instead of a screwing mechanism. The table with the CNC is too heavy for the screw mechanism and I have to jack up each corner to raise and lower it onto the wheels. It’s not a huge deal because I’ve only moved the machine once and don’t intend to move it very often. It I were moving more often I’d definitely swap them out.

2 Likes

I used Kreg components for the bench. The Rockler ones are similar, with some minor differences between the two which caused me to go with Kreg, although Rockler may be a better choice for some as the legs are a bit heavier and they are cheaper.

Unistrut is a trade name for strut channel, but it’s all the same and the generic strut channel they sell at the big box stores tend to be cheaper.

Great suggestions! Thanks so much.

If you can weld I can send you my CAD files and drawings for what we made

1 Like

Damn, I don’t have a welder - I should

1 Like

I got fortunate and found a medical lab getting rid of steel benches with slate tops. If I were building a bench for an HDM with an enclosure in mind, I might try the Kreg bench system. I’m actually considering that for the SO5 since a 64"x64" bench is an expensive beast otherwise.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.