Loud high pitch squeal

So recently I accidentally hit an aluminum clamp that was holding my stock down and ever since then the router has been making a really high pitched squeal during cutting. It happens when the router is working harder, so in roughing passes, I usually do 3mm DOC. Of course I changed the endmill since hitting the clamp, so I’m not entirely sure what could have gone wrong, I am admittedly not that familiar with the hardware of the shapeoko.

Please remove the endmill from the collet and remove the collet — inspect them for damage.

Then, you should then be able to turn the router on temporarily — if it still makes the noise you’ve probably damaged the bearings and they will need to be replaced — see your owner’s manual.

1 Like

@WillAdams

you should then be able to turn the router on temporarily

Do you mean turn it on without cutting, just for movement? It only really makes the noise when it’s cutting material, and the less material it is removing the less the noise is perceivable.

Are the collet or endmill visibly damaged?

Do you get an odd noise when no collet or endmill is installed?

The collet does not seem damaged, and no there is no noise when there are no collet or endmill. I’m also realizing that it might have a problem holding it’s z-axis, I’m doing some engraving tests and the letters are randomly deeper in some areas. Perhaps a loose z-axis could explain the noise?

Please check the machine mechanically:

Also feeds and speeds may be a consideration: https://docs.carbide3d.com/support/#tooling-support and see https://www.precisebits.com/tutorials/calibrating_feeds_n_speeds.htm for a testing technique

I’d say do the “shake test”.

1. turn the machine on, router off.
  2. connect and home machine
  3. jog to center of the bed
  4. lower Z axis nearly all of the way down
  5. while the machine is in this position, machine still on and connected (router still off), grab ahold of the router and give it a good shake.
  6. if something rattles, somethings loose or broken (V wheels are the usual suspects here, but could be something else).
  7. track down the source of the rattle and adjust (or replace). After all of that see if the machine is behaving properly, if it’s not it could be as @WillAdams suggested, maybe router bearings took a hit. I know I’ve read somewhere that someone actually cracked the router shaft where the collet threads on. If you have a spare router handy (some people do), try swapping it out.

Dan

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.