Making a 24" workbench work for an SO5 Pro

For various reasons (stock, cheapness, it was on sale, not being able to read a spec sheet, &c.) I purchased:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Kobalt-72-in-Work-Table/5000045517

(currently it’s $299, which is $50 off the $349 list, YMMV)

It would of course, be perfect for my SO3 XL, but I am hoping to make it work for my 4x2 SO5 Pro — usually I’d just get a sheet of Baltic Birch plywood, but the 36" (well, 35" would be perfect) x 60" which I would need isn’t a commonly available size — Woodcraft tops out at 30" x 48" (at $89.99 ea.) so I’d need two, and would have to cut 13" from each and then join them together.

There is:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/allen-roth-Hevea-Countertops-72-in-x-39-in-x-1-5-in-Natural-Straight-Butcher-Block-Rubberwood-Countertop/5013817637

which would work, but is more cutting than I’d want to do, and is rather pricey at $259.

Am I missing something obvious?

I got a sheet of 3/4 ply interior grade, best they had at Lowe’s and then got the LM to cut it for me in the store to save my back. I have a nice cabinet saw at home but a full sheet of 3/4 is just a pain.

I saw those same countertops there and decided the plywood was fine.

They only like to do cross cuts there but since it is plywood just tell them to rotate it.

As I recall I asked them to cut to within 2” and then I trimmed it myself at home as I was afraid they would mess it up.

Mine is on top of a 4x4 / 2x4 base with a 1/2 ply lower shelf. I thought about the torsion box but didn’t have time and wasn’t really sure it was needed given all the support I built in.

1 Like

Mendards sells Glued pine tops in 36" widths and 4, 5, 6 foot lengths. I think the are 4/4 or 5/4 thick. I have my SO4xl on it and its great.

Unfortunately, last I checked, the nearest Menards is most of a day’s drive further west of my mother-in-law’s home (which is a not insignificant distance west of my home).

It turns out that the machine base for an SO5 Pro 4x2 is 3 alu. extrusions which are just 25" deep, so w/ a bit of overhang front–back this “just works” (I may screw an extension onto the back if the machine is ever moved off the thing) — I did get a pack of:

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-anti-fatigue-foam-mat-set-94635.html

and three of them nicely covered the surface.

The workbench has a pegboard surface on the side which I hope to use to mount the electronics out-of-the-way underneath.

What value do you get out of the mat under the machine. I didn’t do that and my table wiggle ever so slightly during rapid moves but not during normal operation.

I was concerned that the weight of the machine would squash any rubber layer over time and render it useless. Or is there some other benefit?

It makes it less likely the machine will slide/shift, and it takes up the slight imperfections in the table, and dampens and deadens noise/vibration, and captures dust which fall between the cracks.

Hmm. I will consider that the next time I have 4 guys at my house looking for something to do then.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Did mount the electronics as noted at: