Manually entering gcode for simple milling

I’ve been looking for an answer to this somewhere but I’m not seeing anything. Forgive me if it’s a duplicate. My question has to do with simple milling operations.

Let’s say I just want to joint the edge of a board using the CNC. That seems to be a super simple operation with maybe a couple of lines of gcode. Do any of you do simple operations like that by manually entering gcode? If so, any gotchas you’ve run in to? If not, any reason I should avoid doing that?

Same question goes for using jog controls to do the same thing.

one option is to use the CSV method of https://github.com/fenrus75/FenrusCNCtools/tree/master/toolpath/doc … pretty straight from there to gcode, but it will do depth-of-cut and proper F&S\

you can do jogging as well, just if you don’t jog fast enough you might burn the wood a bit (depending on the type of wood)

1 Like

I used to write a LOT of code…back in the day, but to be honest, Carbide Create (CC) is SO easy, and FAST, and ACCURATE (no bone head mistakes) that there really isn’t a reason.

Now having said that, I learned something about 20 years ago, watching a guy drawing a small shape in MasterCAM. It was more of a squiggly line which represented the difference between two part numbers. I asked what is that, and he said WHY draw all the CAD when all you need it that little line. Well that opened my eyes! So I use CC to do just that ALL the TIME. If I need to cut a 1x12 inch wide board in half, I draw a (11.25 + .5 ) line, and then get the GCode for that line. I do call my CGode names that can be understood later. For this item, it would be “12 inch board cut off X axis.nc”

Makes sense right?

4 Likes

Yes! Totally. That actually clicked with me the other day. I was playing around with Fusion 360 and made all of my gcode (just testing) using a simple sketch and setting the correct depths in CAM. Worked like a charm!

Thanks fenrus! That tool will certainly come in handy!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.