Mini Announcement - Homing switches

From the documentation page #13 figure #8 the control board is installed on the Y1 axis. On my XXL (belt drive) the board is on the X axis. Can I move the board to the Y1 axis? I would prefer have it on the Y1, that way it will get less saw dust.

The board should only be installed on the gantry (back of X-axis) on a Shapeoko 3 ā€” it should be installed on Y1 (left Y extrusion) for XL/XXL machines and the drag chains and wiring length are set up for that.

Please contact us at support@carbide3d.com if you have any difficulties with this.

Thank you Will. You just confirmed that I built my XXL the wrong way. I will revisit the build documentation and move the board soon as I receive the new homing switches :slight_smile:

Thank you again!

1 Like

Just want to thank the support folks at Carbide3d again for their awesome support!!!

Even a single missing screw is resolved with utmost speed (and iā€™m in Canada!).

Will do you ever rest?

2 Likes

Yes, I actually crashed early last night (my full-time day job has been going full-tilt for a while now and I decided a solid 11 hours of sleep was what was needed to keep myself from making errors).

5 Likes

The proximity switch requires a complete disassemble of wiring. If you are going to move the controller that is the time to do it.

1 Like

Hey guys, does anyone have a picture showing where the y axis drag chain tail plate goes? I apologize-Iā€™m likely overlooking something, but on page 13, figure 8, it shows that the front on the tail plate should be 15.5ā€ from the front of the machine. It looks like that image is on an XXL, and if I go with that dimension on my XL, it will put the plate a little bit rearward of the backside of the control board. Is that correct, or should it be more toward the front of the machine. If I werenā€™t upgrading to the new control board at the same time as Iā€™m installing these switches, I think I would have kept it in the same spot as i did before. Again, I apologize as Iā€™m sure there are some instructions that I overlooked. Thanks for the help!

Rather than a photo or measured position, Iā€™ve always:

• mounted drag chain on gantry
  • moved gantry all the way forward ā€” note where drag chain naturally falls
  • moved gantry all the way rearward ā€” note where drag chain naturally falls
  • test with drag chain at a position in-between the two points ā€” if need be, remove one or more links
1 Like

Ok, I got everything out together tonight but I have one of the issues I see a lot of on this site. When it goes to do the homing cycle, Iā€™ve had a multitude of different errors as it works on the z axis. Iā€™ve seen these errors: (1) homing failed, couldnā€™t find limit switch and (2) homing failed, pull off didnā€™t clear. Sometimes the z axis goes up, sometimes it goes down. There have been times when itā€™s vibrated some and others when itā€™s been smooth, but it always ends up giving me one of these errors. I will let you know my setup and what Iā€™ve checked so far, and see if anyone has any ideas.

-what I have been running-XL with touch probe, bit setter, HD-Z
-new upgrades as of today-new v2.4 board and the new proximity switches
-Updated to the news v5 carbide motion
-went into settings and made sure my bit setter was unchecked, sent the new configuration with the XL, HDZ
-limit switches all turn red when I place a piece of metal close to them
-the appropriate light turns blue on the board when I put a piece of metal near the switch (the z is the left most light, then y, then x, which is opposite of the way they are plugged into the riser board above)
-I saw where a guy had an issue with the riser board being wired incorrectly, but I assume mine is ok since the locks for the connectors on the riser board are on top
-I can move the hd-z axis by hand when itā€™s unplugged, so I donā€™t feel like itā€™s a mechanical issue
-also I did have a similar issue to this last weekend with the old mechanical limit switches and old board, which was the thing to push me over the edge and order new-I was hoping I would get lucky and it would work, but not the case-it seems like the only things I didnā€™t change out (electrically) were the stepper motors and their cables, so I canā€™t understand what Iā€™m missing

Iā€™m not the best at troubleshooting these but I sure love my machine. Thanks a ton for any advice you guys can give!

Check your wiring and connections on the Z motor.

2 Likes

Thanks Neil. I will check it out more in the morning. I can check for continuity on the grey cable from the motor to the board easy enough. What should I do to check the motor itself?

@neilferreri thanks Neil, you called it as normal! I have always looked toward limit switches and thought if the z axis was moving, then it was probably ok. A quick continuity check showed that the white wire on the z axis cable that goes toward my board was not reading, so I pulled in the wire at both ends. Sure enough, the motor end popped out as seen in the picture. Iā€™ll try to fix it up after breakfast. Thanks again, I owe you!

3 Likes

No problem. Any time you get those sporadic stepper motions, itā€™s usually a wiring issue. Becomes a real pain to track down when itā€™s actually a wire broken inside the insulation.
Up and running again?

1 Like

I finished soldering it before needing to run an errand for my wife. Now, itā€™s time to watch some college football before testing it out at halftime I hope. Iā€™ll report back in a bit.

@neilferreri. Yep, just initialized, recalibrated the bit setter, and look to be good to go again! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

2 Likes

I got my replacement sensors blazing fast - thanks a million to Carbide3D Support that continues their track record for being the best in the biz.

I was able to get it all set up with no issues - I had a close call with my bitsetter that was off a bit on its XY zero, but luckily was close enough not to crash.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.