Mitre Cuts on the Shapeoko

I have read the topic “Can the Shapeoko cut 45 degree mitre joints” which was helpful but didn’t really go into the Carbide Create Setup. If this is obvious, sorry I had to ask…

My question is how do you set this up in Carbide Create?
Say I have 1/2 inch stock. I want to cut the left and right side of the square for mitres?

When I use V Carve and change the bit to the 301 (90 deg) I get an empty tool path.

If I use a rectangle it doesn’t give me a straight cut. It’s pretty but no a mitre…

If I use Contour and choose V Carve for the bit It does look like I can set No Offset and theoretically this would carve the mitre? If so then what is the difference between contour and v carve?

Any suggestions on cutting mitre joints on a shapeoko XL esp around setup in the Carbide Create would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Just to make sure I understand, you want to do something like this?

I understand this is Fusion 360 vs. Carbide Create, but just wanted to get on the same page. You want to cut a sort of “fold up” box with 90deg V? I admit I’ve barely used CC, so I’m not sure how to do this. It sounds like you just want to do the left right edges (vs. for this box example, I was making panels with 3 mitered sides, as the bottom was also mitered to insert).

I just spent ~2min putzing in CC and don’t see how to use V carve or contour to just select single edges vs. the whole rectangle, nor how to draw only lines.

Anyway, sorry I can’t help directly, but I thought a concrete image of what you’re after might help get folks thinking and trigger a suggestion for you.

Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. Yes, very similar but am doing rabbits for top and bottom.

I am about to head out and test Contour- selecting V bit and cut to bottom. We’ll see how that goes…

1 Like

Ok, I found the no offset option, but also am perplexed as the sim looks like a flat bit, even with #301 selected…

My thought was if your real piece is, say, 3x5in (left/right in the 5in direction), you could make your rectangle something like 5x5. In this way, it would make complete vertical passes on your l/r sides, but be completely clear of your top/bottom when it continues around the rectangle.

Maybe that would work? I concur that setting stock bottom is what you want, zeroing the bit to right at your wasteboard surface. I found this method awesome but tricky. Seems like just a little off and my bottom didn’t want to quite fit right. I found radiusing the corners just a hair with sandpaper after assembly helped hide my boo-boos, and filling one “learning pain” corner with glue/sawdust also worked great :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you want a preview you have to use a V carving toolpath, set to as wide as is necessary to cut as deep as is needed:

Note that you will either need to use a wider endmill or do this in two stages, using an advanced V carving for the first pass down to a depth which will allow a normal V carving:

then:

arriving at:

1 Like

Thanks Will, I think I get it.

If I understand, the 90 degree VCarve bit is 1/4 x 1/4 so on a half inch board It would not be a miter, more of a straight route with a quarter inch v at the end…

I get that the Advanced VCarve can handle two sets of cuts? But I am not able to visualize how that helps.

What I ended up doing was create the first rectangle to go all the way through to give me the 90 degree angle at the end, then did a second rectangle a quarter inch away and just 1/4 inch deep, finishing the Miter at the top of the board. Works fairly well.

I would like to understand the Advanced VCarve better. The information in the manual was pretty general.

Chad

Please try drawing up the cuts, then previewing them at each stage — you’ll get it.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.