One of the things I was excited for when I got my S3 XXL, was the ability to branch off into other materials. I’ve mostly been a woodworker and I’m currently building a pair of blanket chests for my two young kids. Same design, different wood combinations. When I couldn’t find a ready made keyhole escutcheon in a design I liked, I finally found my chance to play with some brass! I think I went very conservative in my feeds and speeds and will try taking a slightly deeper DOC on the next project. These are the numbers, for anyone interested.
C3D #201 1/8" carbide endmill, 2 flute
Speeds: 24,500 rpm (5 on the Dewalt 611)
Feeds: 4 in/min, 1in/min plunge
Anyone with more experience cutting brass, please feel free to chime in with setting change ideas. One of the pictures kind of shows the shavings and they don’t appear to be the preferred chips. More like metallic fuzz. Thanks for looking!
P.S. Polishing was done with an assortment of homemade Dremel sanding disks, working my way up through the grits to 1000, and then polishing with various compounds. Next time I’ll try to do a better, more uniform job. It looked like a uniform polish until I sprayed it with Brass Lacquer and now it looks a little muddled.