My Shapeoko on Steroids

Contact us and let us know the specifics and we’ll see what can be done for stickers/badges/build plates

2 Likes

Like FB, that group is largely disinteresting. I appreciate this forum for its inquisitive and creative participants, and subsequent content. I am glad that it is nothing like those groups, and I hope it stays that way. I appreciate and enjoy your contributions, please continue, at least on this forum.

5 Likes

Is it OK to blame you (and Dan) for this?

12 Likes

Where’d you end up ordering from? Looks like you found a single place with a bunch of goodies.

An AliExpress store which is highly recommended by a bunch of users on mycncuk as selling the real HiWin and other decent quality parts at pretty fair prices. He does the rails, ballscrews and the range of linear motion parts. They all came in a big heavy HiWin box, seem to be in decent condition and didn’t cost much more than the non-HiWin generics on Amazon or eBay.

Not sure what the rules are here about mentioning which seller?

4 Likes

You can. The forum rules say “no commercial activity” as in “don’t come and self promote your products here”, but buyer tips are welcome (e.g. Drillman1 on eBay has been referenced countless times for endmills, G-penny spindles, Elaire for collets, etc…). Also, I’m dying to know :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Thanks Julien,

His store on AliExpress is BST Automation here are the rails I ordered which they cut to custom size for you and even ask if you want them cut with even spacing from the last bolt hole to the cut ends of the rails.

They seem to be pretty decent quality, there’s a little lumpiness as the bearings slide but that feels like heavily greased up races.

If there’s anyone with more experience of what they’re looking at here’s some pics of the blocks and rails;

Now I’m off to make a couple of mods to Dan Storey’s HDZ adapter design and then either send that to 3D Hubs or find a local CNC machinist who can bootstrap me with the main mounting plate.

6 Likes

I was looking at online CNC shops and found Xometry to be much cheaper than 3DHubs FWIW.

2 Likes

I checked that out and…

With Xomentry in the USA, delivering to the continental US the $ price was about the same in $ as 3D hubs in £ (so about 80% of the price), the made in China option delivered to the USA was about half the price of the made in the USA version.

But using Xometry.de the European version, the price is slightly higher than 3D hubs for the basic part and additional things like anodised finish are way more expensive than 3D hubs and there’s no made in China option on their European site.

So, it’s the usual, US has more choice and better prices story :frowning:

4 Likes

When I was looking it seemed like the US Xometry delivered to the EU as well though?

Original Black X axis Plate goes out!!!

Gone…

New one installed!!!

The blue Z motor plate GONE, also rotated the motor 45 deg to gain some clearance for the spindle.

With all this changes i managed to remove some spacers i had between the spindle mounts and the Z plate, i shaved more than 20mm space between spindle and the frame, also Gained X 50mm x axis movement because the new X plate is narrower…

I was chasing the source for some shatter i had in some toolpaths, everythime it resonated it left a wavy mark on the finish…

Seems like the Machine is happier with the spindle a lot closer to the frame, And the new Xplate is stronger than the Black original…

This is a test cut after adjusting all the travels, Tool positions ETC

I can now report, NO more resonance… smooth sailing all around… And bigger work area

:smiley:

Just realized i forgot to tram!!! :cold_face:

10 Likes

Started working on my new enclosure, a proper place to operate my machine and install all my equipment, electronics and pneumatic elements properly, sadly i haven’t found a way to surve the alu panels so it can have a better aesthetic appearance…

Steel base with lockable caster wheels and on top, engineers stone to ensure it is straight and level…

the top enclosure is a fame of aluminium sheeted with aluminium Plastic composite panels…

i will continue tomorrow… if my hand lets me…

On friday i fell backwards after loosing my balance and landed on my hand… this will maybe slow things down… i can’t even hold a screwdriver… i stuffed something on my wrist!!!

4 Likes

It took me a second or two to realize that this mysterious dome-shaped white thing was not inside your enclosure :rofl:
Also, I dig your “garage” space!
Get well soon, we can’t get enough of your crazy mods.

3 Likes

Random suggestion: veneer? DIY Perks on YouTube recently made a really nice Aluminium + wood table with some veneer on the outside and it looked really nice.

Or just paint…

You’ll be better off using that area underneath to collect all the chips. That’s what I’m going to do to my enclosure. I’m sick of the chips build up around the machine and the constant need to vacuum them. Other than that, the enclosure looks great. What tube size did you use?

Rx Results are back, No broken bones… only soft tissue trauma.

4 Likes

This is my Fugly enclosure!!! looks like a big Oven… found no way to bend the panels to nice curves, so this is it…

9 Likes

8 Likes

What will you do if you keep giving your Shapeoko steroids, and one day you come in to find the extrusions are huge, leveling feet are still tiny, ballscrews have shrunk, and every time you send a program you get an all caps response like “COME ON BRO! DOUBLE THAT DOC!! GET SOME!!!” :triumph:

what will you do then?

9 Likes

This is a crazy amount of work to do in a couple of days…

Too much goes on this things… ended up super tired and i haven’t finished… long day tomorrow

7 Likes