Need help with cutting a material and toolpaths

Hello, I am still very new to Shapeoko and need help with some things. I recently was requested to make a business sign. The sign is just a logo and is of a complex tree. My problem is that they want it to be cut all the way through, but still be connected to the metal sheet. The tree has shapes in it that won’t be connected if I do that. How would I go about doing this. For reference, I have a shapeoko 3 xxl and I’ll put a picture of the tree.

You could abuse the tab feature to do this, but the thing which would make more sense would be to redesign things so that it’s all one piece and everything is touching — that sort of design is typical for plasma CNCs, also for stenciling.

1 Like

Thank you for the fast response!
How could I redesign it? Thank you!

Add geometry where needed to connect everything and yet provide a reasonable appearance.

Is there a program I can use to do this?

You could do this in Carbide Create using Boolean operations. Or any vector editor such as Inkscape, Adobe Illustrator, or Serif’s Affinity Designer.

Any time I do a boolean or toolpath, Carbide crashes. Do you know what could cause this?

Also I got the boolean to work 3 times after trying repeatedly, and all that happens when I do union is the inside of the tree disappears but the subtraction does nothing.

Send the file which causes this crash in a current version of CC on an up-to-date system to us at support@carbide3d.com and we’ll do our best to look into it.

Its not just one file, its anything that is more complex than a few circles and text. I dont believe it is my computer because I have an i7 8700 and a gtx 1060

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.