Need some advise on the best tool to use

I have a Shapeoko XXL that I have had for 18 months or so. I am working on a project for our local Drug Court and I am struggling with the size of the engraving. They have a logo that they have adopted and I am trying to cut out “coins” out of 1/8th inch baltic birch ply. They are rewards for moving from phase to phase, similar to the coins given at recovery meetings for sober time. The issue is reducing the size of the logo to fit on an 1 1/2 in diameter coin and being able to make out the words and the logo.
I have v-carve bits and some engraving bits but the detail is not good when I run the mock up images.
What advise would anyone have as to what bits to use and ways to make this kind of detail cut out on this size of project?

1 Like

Please send us a copy of the file.

V carving should work — the preview should just be a limitation of how Carbide Create previews.

William

J-Tech Laser; my beam is 0.0075" in diameter with the high precision lens installed.

As they say a photo is worth a 1000 words…and would greatly help here

I have used end mills 0.015" frequently, 0.012" and 0.010" occasionally with good results. At those sizes, the wood looks almost like it was laser engraved when oiled. To get the detail you want, you may have to do a line engraving instead of a V-carve, but as others above me have already written, show us the image! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.