Need to save my hearing - Spindle time

Does the HDZ have a 65mm (or 69mm) mount option? I’ve only seen 80mm ‘beefy clamps’, or is the idea to re-use the standard Z clamp?

hdz reuses by default the standard clamp. But there is a 65mm HDZ clamp that is VERY nice and beefy… the C3D one is very very well made and I dont regret buying it

3 Likes

The HDZ HD spindle mounts are listed at:

https://shop.carbide3d.com/collections/accessories/hd

I have a Carbide Compact Router in my 65mm HD Spindle Mount, and it’s awesome (and eases my longing for a Mafell Quick Change Spindle a bit — of course, if we were to offer a suitable mounting plate for that, I’d have to be first to volunteer to test).

2 Likes

OK, will soon be the proud owner of HDZ, HD-65 clamp, 800w/65mm/water-cooled/220v spindle with ‘good enough for now’ water system. The low-RPM thing coupled with being able to use anti-freeze coolant, plus the ‘overhead is not so bad’ comment persuaded me.
Toy budget hammered, candy store duly raided. Fence no longer being sat upon.
No problems with wiring the cable/connector/heat-shrink, just need to find a UK/EU stockist of the appropriate wire. Tonight’s task.

6 Likes

I just bought one. Thanks for the heads up!

:+1:

Did you end up ordering the kit you referenced in the first post ?
I think most of the kits now ship with the newer Huanyang H100 VFD, so figuring out the settings will be in your next steps too. It seems to be “similar but subtly different” from the older Huanyang VFD params.

I’m outside of Tampa, Florida and we live outside a lot - have a TV in the garage. My wife was getting frustrated with the noise while she is watching reruns of NCIS for the 20th time. I recently upgraded to a 800w on a Z-plus and we both love it. It’s quiet. Now I just have to worry about the buzzing of the bit cutting the wood.

1 Like

I’ve read that these VFD settings need thought - but that a number of people have found the right setup. An area yet to enjoy (or at least explore). The VFD is the H100-1.5S2-1B.

2 Likes

once you have a table of “setting 17 means XYZ” they’re usually quite obvious.

the translation able is what needs hunting

2 Likes

I need to locate the PWM control pin(s) on my controller PCB (v2.4e). I presume it is the following;
Right towards the upper-right corner (with the USB to the left).
These look like standard 0.1" pitch holes, so 1x4 by 0.1" header should fit, then a Molex style connector on the PWM cable.
Also presume the GND is the appropriate pin to take across to the VFD along with PWM?
The pin D13, if I have read correctly, is spindle control. Is this a soft on/off also destined for the VFD?

Questions…question… Got a new toy coming and want to be prepared :slight_smile:

you can also use the 6 pin thing that is used for the bitrunner (which is not by default populated) which also has gnd and pwm exposed which is on the right side of the board

My PCB has this 6-pin location populated. Anyone know what make/model the mating connector part is?

there was a part number in another thread in the forum.
I do have the pinout (at least enough)

the right bottom pin is ground (brown in my cable)
the left middle is PWM (red in my cable)
(the top left is 24V)

this is from the angle of looking straight at the connector on the board with the board assembled on the Y rail, so from the front of the machine looking towards the back to the board

Please see:

that and other potentially useful links are at: https://wiki.shapeoko.com/index.php/Shapeoko_3#Connectors

When describing the ISP header pins to the left of the board, I presume it is this connector:

(yes)
EDIT: (almost) complete board map here: https://shapeokoenthusiasts.gitbook.io/shapeoko-cnc-a-to-z/anatomy-of-a-shapeoko#controller-board

3 Likes

AFIK you’d have to get something not made in China (i.e. not cheap) for that. But then, if you’re not cutting metals, 1/4" shanks should suffice. Personally, I’d go with the HSD. But, those that have purchased G-Penny spindles here seem to be happy with them.

btw… what kind of F&S do you use for a 1/2 inch cutter?
60ipm at 1mm DOC ? (e.g. similar to the #201 bit just wider)

That would be extremely conservative.

I run a 2.2kw spindle with an hdz. I am able to run a 2 flute 1/4” bit at 180ipm, 18k rpm, .250” doc and .125” step over.

I only use amana bits and thier feeds and speed charts are Great starting points. I’ve been eye balling a 1/2” bit. Amana lists 200ipm , 1/2” doc and 1/4” step over but I’m not sure if the belts can take it.

I only recently got a spindle (and it’s a bit smaller one) but yeah with HDZ I have been going at 170% of normal for some… but I will admit to being a bit conservative in F&S so far…