Needing a new computer

I am curious, what does it use then? Because, watching Ryzen Master, Radeon Software, CPU-Z, GPU manager, I don’t see deviation from enl’s statement. Am I doing it wrong?

Fusion is more interested in your CPU, RAM and storage speed. I have not played around with Fusion’s settings much, but I use Solidworks simulations a lot, and within that environment the GPU can make a difference, but for just simple CAD/CAM in Fusion, you don’t need much.

1 Like

I once had some kind of instruction certification, I’d certify my guys to operate “powered industrial trucks” for OSHA. One of them ran me over with a fork lift, crushed my left leg. Apparently I was a sh*t instructor.

I’m a decent Googler…does that count? I also use Inventor regularly.
Inventor has been increasing support for multiple cores, but most operations, as I understand it, still make use of a single core.

This is for Inventor, but I think it would be relevant to this thread.

4 Likes

Total package and to save time buy assembled unless it’s cheaper to build.

You could let folks/technicians convince you that you need a monster 'puter,. You don’t.
Take a look at this one, but the spec’s are under-rated. Processor speed wise, it is a Base 3.6Ghz but will turbo up to around 4.6Ghz… Pretty quick at creating toolpaths and simulations. No spinning disk to fail, and just drape a cheesecloth cover over it for dust protection, good to go.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0784F3NHF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
$200 and pretty decent for the Shapeoko.

3 Likes

My 8 years old is also a decent Googler, and here is what he came up with:

Again, this mostly is about inventor and minimum requirements, for none rendering projects. Regarding GPU, again he talks about minimum requirements for none rendering projects.Things are a bit different when it comes to ACad.
Now, if you jump to ACad, Xeon CPU’s been the most best-chosen CPU’s for ACad workstations, even though it runs at a lower MHz than i7 or i9. If you follow what I said early regarding chosing a computer for the thread starter.

That’s the same guy I linked to. Google’s got some pretty good algorithms.

2 Likes

If you load up with RAM, watch which version of Windows you use as the non-Pro versions may not be able to access it all, wasting the money spent on it. I run a 8yr old Apple iMAC with i7 processor, 2TB Flash Disk (upgrade) and 24GB, with VMWare Fusion running Win10 on 4GB. My workshop has my old MacBook Air hooked up via WiFi and iCloud to control the ShapeOKO and pick up .gcode files - I’ve found Windows less stable (may be a personal thing) at real-time control of external hardware. Software is a mix of Carbide Create, Motion and Vectrics VCarve with occasional use of Solidworks when I can check out a licence from work over a weekend - all runs without pauses or ‘why won’t it go faster’ issues

1 Like

2 years ago I bought a top of the line ASUS Gaming laptop. it was about US$2750, It handled everything I threw at it (Solidworks, Fusion, Illustrator, Vectric Aspire)

What I have found now, is that my laptop is worth about US$800, and still runs all those programs extremely well and can even run several of them at the same time without lagging

My advice - buy a used Gaming Laptop around the budget that you are looking for, maybe check that it has the ability to have RAM added to it (most gaming laptops do) so you can add more in future.

If you’d prefer a desktop, the same rule likely applies.

The minimum I’d be targeting as far as specs go are an intel i7 6th gen, 16gb RAM, Nvidia 1080

3 Likes

Got this in an email yesterday and thought it might be of interest…

3 Likes

For What It’s Worth, I am running my Shapeoko with my old Surface Pro2 tablet with a docking station. It can also run Aspire and the Adobe suite as well. They are available as refurb at a reasonable price.

Upstairs I have the Surface Studio 2 that tops all the computers I have used since the mid 70’s. Huge high rez gesture screen and 2TB SSD makes it super fun to be at the computer.

I made a custom workstation Pedestal for it - http://jalbum.net/en/browse/user/album/1980403

2 Likes

What kind of projects do you think you will be working on?

1 Like

Tom’s is a great site if you’re looking to build…the information I’ve gotten there over the decades has always been reliable. I was going to suggest you looking there if you’re comfortable building your own. I always recommend building your own because you know exactly what components you’re getting, You can “skimp” or buy extra on what you want too and it’s much easier to upgrade in the future. You can get some great pre-built deals but building your own has always been the way for me.

I want to start learning 3D but my computer crashes and can’t handle the software. Getting ready to get either vcarve or carveco.

I use this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087MB58VR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and although not fanless, I run Sketchup, Carveco, CC and CM on it with dual monitors with no issues., Pretty impressed with ti so far.

Thanks for the input. I’ll definitely check it out.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.