New BitZero V2 Just Arrived. :)))

Hello All,
I trust you’ve all had a peaceful family time over the holiday season.

After a wait of almost 14 weeks, the deities have looked very favourably on me. My original order was for a BitZero but there were some hiccups along the way. Anyhow, Scott of RoboSavvy and Support at Carbide have worked together, and I now am the delighted owner of BitZero V2. That was an unexpected and very nice surprise so a huge Thank you very much to all concerned.

I went to hook up BitZero (I did not connect it while I was checking BitSetter) and was dismayed to find the Z axis (Z plus) will not descend from its home position more than about 1 inch. It produces an error message in CM which I have not recorded. It was working fine the last time I used the machine about 8 days ago. Is it possible to obtain the error logs from CM if it is not connected? If not, I will retrieve them in the morning because it is -2 at the moment and I would prefer to stay
inside the house right now.

When I disconnect the BitSetter, everything works as expected. I suspect that this is just some newbie stupidity on my part and I need a tiny nudge to get me back on the rails and keeping up with the program.

Would someone please provide me with an insight into the precise workflow I need to be using so that I can enjoy the benefits of using BitSetter combined with BitZero on every job?

All answers greatly appreciated. Thank you.

What setting do you have for Z-axis?

You can see the Log by opening it from the Settings window.

1 Like

Thanks Will. I will check the log in the morning when I connect the computer to the SO3. g’night.

OK, checked everything this morning and it was all working fine. There is full travel on the Zplus and the BitZero V2 is installed. Everything is working well and the workflow seemed to be a natural progression after setting the X,Y and Z height of the stock then changing the tool when prompted.

My routine with the use of the BitSetter included

1. Insert stock
  2. Initialise CM
  3. Load file
  4. Change tool to probe bit at tool change prompt
  5. Run probe sequence X,Y, Z and zero all
  6. Start job
  7. Change probe for endmill bit at tool change prompt
  8. Run until job concludes.
2 Likes

I’m curious, Jeffrey. Do you have to hold the BitZeroV2 while it is being probed by the machine? Does it move during the procedure?

2 Likes

Good Question, Tex. Yup, I hold the BitZero V2 during the probing sequence because I suspect that it will displace a small amount when probing X & Y if not Z. I guess I am saying that the weight of the device did not inspire me to leave it and then possibly find out later that it did not remain in place. I have a small 1,2,3 block that is half the size of BitZero V2 and it is at least twice the weight.

It is likely that a heavier body would prevent any tendency to move during the probing sequence but how heavy and at what cost and size penalty? Cast iron would be a good body material so that you could have a small body that was relatively dense for its size. I have never seen the V1 in the flesh and maybe that was heavier than V2. I suspect that V2 is actually a considerable improvement in the overall design, especially with the non conductive base.

The V1 uses the outside of the block for X and Y probing, and only in the blocked direction of the lip, which makes it hard for it to move.

For the V2, if I understand correctly it probes inside the circular aperture? Is the movement coming from a largish bit hitting the opposite X & Y walls accidentally?

Yes, that is correct. The probe moves against the inside wall of the aperture. I was using the 1/4 inch dowel pin supplied as a probe. There is also a 1/8th pin supplied. I will make a short video and we can see what actually happens.

I guess I spoke wrongly… short video of the process. hmm… not supported. OK will try another filetype. Anyway the device did not move during the probing cycle

I suppose it wouldn’t be a visible movement anyway. I propose that someone could devise a method of verifying theoretical movement with multiple zero tests.

Yes, I was considering how best to do that. The probing routine in the X & Y. directions is as follows:

X- to X+ then Y- to Y+

When using the bottom left corner of the stock as the starting point, the probe routine is potentially pushing the BitZero away from the stock. If the routine started with X+ then X- followed by Y+ to Y- at the first value X & Y would be tending to push the BitZero device away from the stock.

As this device can measure the starting point from any corner, if one used top right corner, it would be more in line with the idea just proposed that the device would be making the first two readings X and Y readings while potentially pushing BitZero against the stock.

It would need a much better brain than mine to understand the nature of the electrical connection between the probe and the edge of the aperture. How fast is the electrical signal generated and at what distance from the aperture edge is it generated?

I must be using the wrong method…

Simple file with simple pocket operation. Material 18mm in depth and 195 x 180mm specified in CC setup. Font Cooper black to occupy space 120mm in height. Capital letter A.

8mm two flute cutter specified. Material pine. Image shows settings.

Routine:

1. Clamp stock to SO3 spoilboard
  2. Initialize CM
  3. Change tool to BitZero dowel at the change tool prompt
  4. BitSetter measures the BitZero V2 dowel height
  5. Run probe sequence X, Y, & Z then zero all
  6. Load file
  7. Start job
  8. Change BitZero V2 dowel to endmill at the change tool prompt
  9. BitSetter measures the endmill height
  10. Run job
  11. Air cutting a long way above the workpiece

Is the BitZero positioned at a corner, or on a surface?

If probing for a single axis, but positioning at a corner the probe will be off by the 3mm thickness of the lip.

1 Like

Hi Will. Thanks for your response. BitZero was positioned at the corner.

Thanks for this. I get that.

Can you post the G-code file?

1 Like

Hi Julien.
Your wish is my command…
A.nc (87.0 KB)

1 Like

Puzzling…file is fine, zeroing process is fine…and workflow is fine.
Could you repeat 2 to 5 and then manually jog down to the stock surface, see what Z is?
How high above the surface does it hover ?

1 Like

I followed the process 3 times. I get 18.825 - stupidly, I would have expected zero to fit with the 0.0 of the surface setting

Do you mean -18.825?
What’s the height of the BitZero V2 (without the lip) by the way ?

2 Likes

BitZero V2 height is 13.05mm without lip - Yes, of course that was a minus value for 18.825