New choice of router for Shapeoko?

The saw I returned had scuff marks and sap on it, plus the plastic gear inside that drove the chain was broken and rattling inside. Since it was within the 90-day warranty they gave me my money back. I guess it was considered a materials or workmanship defect.

As long as it wasn’t damaged by abuse (dropping it for example), I think they will take it back and give a refund within the 90-day period.

1 Like

I haven’t been able to break my pole saw yet. Surprisingly I haven’t been able to break my SDS Max Rotary Hammer or Demolition Hammer yet either. But I did return a 12" compound sliding miter saw for a full refund because it wouldn’t cut straight/square. HF usually has 25% coupons for Holidays, I expect they’ll have one for Thanksgiving (the 28th).

Compliance with specs (including vehicle fuel consumption) needs to be evaluated under the conditions specified in the relevant standards/conditions. Specs. = accountability, no specs. = no accountability.

I have no idea how anyone could effectively design/build anything worthwhile without specs!

@gmack its nice when manufacturers under promise and over deliver! I just had a custom viper intercooler dyno out at 1600wtq/1400wtp…yet on paper the manufacturer spec’d the cores to only support airflow for 750hp.

Real world results > specs on paper.

3 Likes

There is a certain level of trust that you create over time but there is a need for real world testing. In fact as you say, we know some tend to over estimate while others underestimate and for the most part we all know this and take this into account when making a decision. The motto is: trust but verify!

1 Like

The HF debate rages as usual. There is a thing called false economy. The story is you save a few bucks and think you got a good deal. The good deal goes suddenly sour when the good deal quits running. I bought one of the 10-18 HF Central Machinery lathes. I had to return 3 times before I got one that was worth keeping. They are good a returns because they get a lot of them. HF is a good deal if you need to use the tool very lightly or only for one job. If you think that HF tools will work for the long run it is false economy. Most of the tools produced for HF are the bare minimum to call them a tool. I got a 4" side grinder and on the second change of the disk the detent button to lock the arbor broke the housing. Now HF refunded the money but if you include the trips back and forth and the aggregation it is false economy to buy tools from HF. When I got my Shapeoko I bought a set of HF Pittsburg metric allen T handled set. The large hex allen work ok but the small hex keys are so soft they had to be ground off each time I used one of them. I have learned my lesson about HF and will not buy anything they have. One last example of the poor quality I bought some nirtle gloves that were the thickest they had. The cuffs were quite long and half of the tore when I tried to put them on. So you can buy aggravation and grief from HF but not me.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.