New user needs help with crash, ProXL

Greetings,

Bought my Shapeoko Pro XL (order #66736) in June and was able to complete two simple projects without any issues. Finally got a decent project started and the machine was operating perfectly and about 25% of the way in it went off track a little. I stopped it, thought the bit may have slipped. Didn’t seem loose but took it out and retightened it and started over.

Then had trouble re-initializing and it would freeze when going over to the bitsetter and time out and this error would show “Probing Cycle Failed”

Unplugged everything, restarted the Shapeoko, had a little trouble initializing the machine (would stop on bitsetter check) but finally got it to work. It followed the prior path just fine but when it got to the same spot as it failed last time it went off path all on it’s own at full depth. I didn’t see any issues with the CC toolpathsimulation, or the .SVG file from Inkscape. Any suggestions for what is happening?

cheers

Lee

Hi @DockLee,

Can you upload the gcode file (*.nc) for a check to rule out any problem there ?

The intermittent nature of your other problem (initialization) could indicate something wrong in the wiring, hard to tell. When the machine froze over the bitsetter, how exactly did it behave ? Did it start moving down towards the bitsetter and then froze ?

Are those two photos from the same initial failed job, or is the second one from the repeat attempt that also failed in the same spot ?

You should also contact support@carbide3d.com about this in any case.

1 Like

Sorry for the delay, on holiday. Just got back to my computer. Here is the .nc file.
Fishing net mold _25in end mill.nc (493.1 KB)

And also the .c2d file. I’m making a mold for a bent wood fishing net. I’m writing down all the steps and will share when successful. Learning curve for inkscape is very steep but it is powerful if you take the time to chase down each and every function you need to learn.
Version 1 Nov 26 12_5DIA net.c2d (83.9 KB)

I also have a service request in with carbide support. I have to wait until I’m back in the shop in front of the machine.

The photo is a duplicate. Didn’t know how to remove it.

A couple of hints for troubleshooting. I did have two successful small jobs complete. The drink coaster tutorial and an engraved cheese board. So the system is set up and working properly. On the 1st two jobs I didn’t use dust collection but I did on this job. I have a big 2hp central shop vac cyclone system which I hooked up on this job. I did see some sawdust collect on the 2 1/2" hose connected to the dust hood. The first part of the job completed successfully and I was totally jazzed at how my new machine was working and then it went nuts. Now it won’t initialize properly. It goes over to the bit setter and hangs when going down. There is lot of the 1/4 bit sticking out so it isn’t a travel limit.

I’m not sure if the static charge zapped something on the z motor or controller board.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Cheers,

Lee

Nothing wrong with the gcode (as expected).

Can you try and grab video of the failed initialization ? and upload that to a file/video sharing site of your choosing and post a link here for review ? (support will possibly ask for this anyway)

EDIT: also, can you go to the Settings page in Carbide Motion, before initializing the machine, and check if you see anything in the “GRBL Active input pins” area there ?

EDIT2: and by checking the GRBL Active input pins area I mean this:

1 Like

Checked all the functions in the video. Everything seemed OK. Ran the program again and it went crazy again in a similar location (but not exactly the same). While checking the Z limit switch I saw it flicker if I touched the wire bundle. Did a pull test on all the connectors on the Z stage and found 3 wires on one 4-wire connector that were not fully seated. Reseated them, rebooted, re-zeroed the start point and ran the file again and it finished with no issues. I’m guessing when the router assembly travelled to the far left it created an intermittent connection and caused a glitch.

Cross fingers this solved the problem.

Cheers,

Lee

2 Likes

Please let us know about this wiring difficulty at support@carbide3d.com

Already sent the message in. Brandon was the one helping me but we didn’t ever get to talk. I was out on vacation for a couple of weeks. Cross fingers this fixed it.

The wire pull test and reseating the loose wires appear to have solved the problem. I’ve done three more parts without any issues. Sad to have lost a couple of months of pre-Christmas gift making time but happy to have it solved. I look forward to making a lot more sawdust with the remaining vacation days.

Cheers,

Lee

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.