New XXL Build - won't complete Homing process

think its for new users (which would need it most) Hint.hint to the forum gods…check above your last post,i stated some changes to be made that im thinking might fix you up :slight_smile:

Just came off of a FT call with Jorge (real good guy!) We ran through a series of diagnostics, and he determined that I have a “dodgy controller”.

He had me change MDI values, swap connectors left and right, and even direct-connect the x-axis direct to the controller (bypassing the extension cable in case that had a damaged wire in it). The long and short is that the x-axis controller is failing to initiate -at all- on the controller, so I can expect to see a new board sent over the border in the next few days.

Thanks for your help, gents - I’m quietly pleased that the idiot that put this machine together (me!) wasn’t the one responsible for buggering something up!!'ll report back to let you know whether this does indeed fix the issue, or whether Mark has hit on something, and I need to mess with the values within the log file, or maybe even consider the firmware upgrade options

1 Like

yeah,the whole carbide team is awesome,you may need to change the new one to the values discussed earlier $850.00
if so just refer back to this post,let us know how it goes and welcome to the forums Darren :slight_smile:

Thanks guys. For giggles, I did change the settings you suggested, Mark - $130=850.000; $131=850.000… No change.

Apparently the X & Y axis are supposed to move simultaneously during the homing process… my x-axis doesn’t move -at all- (hence Jorge’s finger of doubt pointed squarely towards the fault being X stepper motor, X extension cable or X-Controller on motherboard). I did learn (from Jorge) that the homing process was stalling (and the Y-Axis failed to jog forwards once the limit switch was hit) because both the X & Y axis limit switches BOTH need to be activated prior to CMotion proceeding forward with the homing process… so when my y-axis ground to a halt at the end of it’s travel, tapping the x-axis limit switch a couple of times with my finger prompted the Y-axis to complete the ‘jog forward’ process…

I’m sure all you guys knew this already, but for a noob like me, this kind of thing is valuable info for help with any future fault diagnoses…

Anyway, it’s long past beer o’clock here, and I need to relax for a few mins. Will, Mark thanks again for your help, gents - very much appreciated! :wink:

Quick follow-up to complete the circle here… Following my FaceTime call with Jorge @ C3D, a new controller board was sent out (received this afternoon).

Jorge nailed the issue - for whatever reason, the x-axis controller on my original board was indeed DOA… I installed the replacement board (liberally applying heatsink paste & the 4 retaining screws), re-started the limit switch configuration process, configured the homing capability (with both X- and Y- axes moving at the same time!), then strapped on my ShapeokoSharpie and completed my “Hello World” print… I’m stoked!

Can’t speak highly enough of the support team (particularly Jorge & Crystal) - C3D should be very proud of the team supporting their efforts.

2 Likes