No delivery of SO3 today... :(((

No SO3 even though delivery was notified to me and promised today for 18:00. FedEx web pages showing machine was collected and in transit at 10:22 from Dartford in Kent (a distance of 67 miles). Just spoken with customer service representative who has no idea where the machine is because it was not scanned at Dartford.

Suggested to me that on Monday it may be delivered but was keen to stress it may not because it is currently not available on the system to be tracked. I asked for a definitive set of processes and procedures I could follow so that I was not sitting at home and ignoring all of my other commitments while FedEx attempted to get their act together.

Anyhow, no machine was delivered and I have no idea where it is or when it may arrive. I busied myself by using a few hand tools (rule, hand held drill, pencil, automatic centre punch, try square impact screwdriver and a 9mm brad point spur bit) to make an 18mm MDF spoil-board with 10mm x M6 inserts into 9mm holes. pix to follow…

Checking how well odd shapes can be clamped. No grub screws applied as this was just a check.

Top of spoil-board

underneath of spoil-board

4 Likes

That is, unfortunately, typical of FedEx’s “customer service”, it is unfortunate that good companies like Carbide who care about customers have to rely on these incompetent wasters for delivery.

Make sure you get the customs invoice from the driver on delivery so you can pay before FedEx get nasty if it’s coming from the US and not Europe.

Hope it arrives soon

2 Likes

Thanks for your thoughts and the heads up for the customs invoice, Liam. I paid in full at the beginning of October through a European distributor… so the shipping was from Heerlen NL. All taxes and duties are paid as far as I can tell. Yup, FedEx is quite poor these days. No global monopoly shared with UPS probably came as quite a surprise and a shock to them.

My preferred courier is DPD. They always tell you (within one hour) when the delivery time is and they always tell you who the driver will be. Much better service and very easy to use. Happily, I realise that Carbide 3D are in no way responsible for the poor service provided by FedEx.

1 Like

It’ll get better once FedEx release the hostage and you’ve got your machine :wink:

1 Like

Indeed… you will have seen in the other thread that their premises are protected by very high security and a rather old Bristol Bloodhound surface to air missile. Machine-napping should be an offence though… :wink:

1 Like

Are you sure that’s not still awaiting delivery to a customer?..

1 Like

During this pandemic the delivery services are taking liberties. They all seem fully staffed and if they are so busy deliveries are delayed then hire people out of work. Depending on how shipping was paid for ask for a partial refund of they are not compliant with terms of service. That may be a slippery slope because they have armies of lawyers to write TOS and they are purposely vauge. I will not hurt to ask, the worst they can say is NO.

1 Like

In my experience (pandemic notwithstanding) FedEx are always taking liberties. I guess the shipping was paid for by the importer. Ultimately, I will have paid that charge as a part of my SO3 order but the contractual agreement will have been between the parties who arranged the contract. (importer and FedEx)

There is a well settled doctrine at common law which recognises that privity permits only the signatories to a contract to sue for performance deficiencies. Vertical privity describes a direct relationship between the co-signatories to the contract. Very rarely, the somewhat difficult and highly vexed concept of horizontal privity may permit a third party (who did not sign the contract) to have a lawful interest but it is a very tough ask.

Hmmm… the RAF did use Bloodhound into the early 90s. It was a project from sometime during the 50s and, if my recall is not entirely faulty, it was a development by Ferranti who were a UK electrical engineering and defence technology company. I think they went bust in the early 90s. It may just be that FedEx could not find the location of the RAF so they never got to deliver that particular item.

2 Likes

Ah - Bloodhounds. Takes me back awhile. I was a technical officer working at Woomera in South Australia in the early 60’s. Woomera was and still is a rocket range and in the 60’s was the testing ground for most if not all the British developed missiles. I have seen many Bloodhounds launched and even a few taking down aircraft (mostly Gloster Meteor fighters and English Electric Canberra bombers). A great and exciting place to work for a young fellow.

3 Likes

Jeffery dont let the delivery issue sour you experience. When you get the Shapeoko you will quickly forget the bumps along the way. Sometimes peoples initial experience with something they have bought can put a damper on the object for the whole life of the object.

4 Likes

Hi @jepho

Did you order it from the US? I bought my XXL in the UK on the Thursday and luckily got it the following Tuesday.

I’ve always been a bit reluctant to buy from outside Europe, for the following reason: I ordered two pairs of 501s from a department store in the US and Royal Mail kept them in the warehouse in the UK for three days before sending them back, as I hadn’t paid the import duty or VAT, but they didn’t notify me they had arrived, until they’d been sent back. I can’t imagine what horror that would cause for something like a CNC machine! The good this for me was, with the variation in the rate of exchange, I was refunded more than I paid!

1 Like

Halcyon days and exciting times, Patrick. Like many brits, I had heard of Woomera, it being the principle aerospace test facility in Australia back then. Woomera was a name that was held in the same high esteem as Cape Canaveral, by many poms. My prime military task involved the quality control of fuels and oils for all three military services. Hot line refuelling of Lightnings and Phantoms based at RAF Leuchars in 1970 was one of my career highlights.

Refuelling our primary interceptor fast jets from a fabric tank laid next to the runway, while the pilots kept the engines running was hugely dangerous because of static electricity generation. The rewards included standing next to the Lightnings which were disconnected from the fuel supply and suddenly left me standing there while leaving the refuelling point on full reheat. I can well remember the Meteors and Canberras of those days but I never got the opportunity to work with them.

2 Likes

Good advice, Guy. I wont let it get in the way of working with the SO3. My early work, following my military service, was toolmaking and I have always liked working with wood and my hands. Those factors and the Shapeoko will equal pure contentment for me. My career has just formally ended after 50 years of working in trauma and orthopaedics for our national health service. It is time for me to relax a little now. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hello Peter, No, I ordered my SO3 in the UK but it was out of stock. I could have had one the next day if I had opted to buy the in stock version set up for the DeWalt trim router. I preferred to buy the Makita router version because of the wider speed range and the ability to get router speeds as low as 10,000 rpm. Many of the power tools I own have been made by Makita and I trust their engineering.

I can see why the Shapeoko dealers prefer to leave everything in a closed box but I would have thought that the choice of router mount 69 or 65mm could be decided by the customer… at the time of purchase. If a few of each sized mount were available separately on a shelf, it would make the main kit universal and the mount would be available for the customer, who could then decide on the flavour of the set at the last minute stock notwithstanding.

As for buying elsewhere, I have usually had only positive experiences. I wanted to purchase a Makita item that was not available in Europe and it was out of stock in the USA. I bought it for peanuts on eBay in Australia and I received a running commentary on its whereabouts via Australia Post up until it was delivered to me without incident. Our own postal system always adds around ÂŁ8 to the cost of stuff which has come via HMRC. I usually get myself ahead of the game and pay any duties upfront. This always helps a great deal with efficiently transferring goods from outside of the EU.

1 Like

Sounds like a good plan!

By the way, if you need a shim to fit the Makita (my choice too) into the mount, I bought some aluminium tubing and cut off a piece, added a slot, and it fits both perfectly. I’ve got quite a bit left over, if you want me to send you a piece? Postage costs only :smile:

1 Like

What a great offer! Thank you very much. I have no idea whether a shim will be required. Did you get the 69mm DeWalt mount or the 65mm Makita mount with your XXL? What was the reason for the shim? Do you know what thickness of shim you finally settled on?

The one I ordered didn’t give me the option, so it came with the 69mm mount, so I had to find a solution.

Of course, you won’t need a shim if you ordered the 65mm mount :laughing:

And we are here to help each other, after all, and we ex-emergency services types do need to stick together!

1 Like

I did get the option on the web page of RobotShop but only insofar as choosing which SKU I had wanted to buy. The DeWalt version was in stock but the Makita version was not.

Hehe… I suppose that 4mm thickness is a shim because you have put it to that purpose. In my own experience a shim is usually a little thinner than 4mm. When you are working on tolerances of ± 2 tenths of a thousandth of an inch, a 4mm shim would be slight overkill. :wink:

How stable do you find the router in that mount? Aluminium is fairly soft and easily deformed but I wondered if you had any difficulty tramming that set up?

Indeed! What was your area of interest?

Note to Carbide 3D: @Julien @WillAdams
This is precisely the situation that could be addressed if each supplier were to be provided with a few mounts of each size. This would enable the dealers to turn he universal kit into something suitable for either DeWalt or Makita trim routers, with the proviso that the mount was the only difference between the sets. It could prevent potentially lost sales… where the flavour required was not available for another month.

I agree with that! I’ve used feeler gauges on too many occasions to remember, to set the points in a distributor for an ignition system!

It’s pretty good, but I haven’t given the CNC a real test, yet. I’m still tweaking the installation and improving storage capabilities for timber in my garage!

The offer’s still there, if you (or anyone reading this) decide you need one!

1 Like