Nomad: Cheap and Easy y-axis slot covers

I don’t know about you guys but I get tired of sweeping debris from under the Nomad. I thought of a very quick and easy way to semi-seal up the cabinet to minimize the amount of dust and shavings that escape.

Take a look at the picture…
I used 2" packing tape to construct covers for the Y-axis slots. All you have to do is …

1. Cut 8 strips of 2" packing tape 8" long each
  2. Fold half of each strip over onto itself so that it creates a 5/8" wide non-sticky length and 3/4" wide sticky surface for the full length.
  3. Cut a 45 degree angle on the end of each strip on the side that is folded onto itself.
  4. Clean the inside base of your Nomad with alcohol on each side of the y-axis slots.
  5. Move the bed all the way back and install 4 strips as shown in the picture with the 45 degree cut toward the center of the slot and next to the bed. Its probably okay to overlap the strips a little bit but make sure they don’t roll up where they could get pealed up under the bed. There’s not much of a gap there.
  6. Repeat step 5 for the rear.
  7. Run your bed back and forth a few times to make sure you have everything pressed down and its not rubbing on the underside of the bed.

I also taped up the inside bottom edges between the floor and the walls since there are large holes there also for debris to fall through.

There are more elegant ways to do this but probably none cheaper, easier or faster than this. I’m not a perfectionist so mine don’t look that great but they are very functional.

Feel free to post ideas for other ways of doing this.

3 Likes

Another idea is to make some bellows out of folded paper, and attach one end to the wasteboard and the other to the base of the nomad

3 Likes

I made similar packing tape seals for the door. It helps cut down on noise and prevents particles from escaping through the cracks.

I’ve found that over time the tape slot covers tend to stick in the up or down position so I’m thinking that a bellows set would be a better long term solution. @joethejammer, Do you have a link that shoes how your bellows were made?

I found this handy guide.

It appears to require the same amount of patience as making Scotch eggs:
[2nd link to Instructables FORBIDDEN for new users; oh, the horror!]