Nomad working area ref the threaded table

I’m getting ready to order a Nomad for an application at my work. While waiting for the machine, I’d like to get my fixturing started. I need to know where the actual working area of the Nomad is, referencing the center large screw that holds the threaded plate to the Nomad carriage. I know this will be crude, but useful for me. If the Nomad tool was positioned directly above the large center fixture bolt (not actually centered, but offset to the right), what would be the maximum travel distance left, right, front and back. Based on this feedback I can design my fixture. Thank you in advance…

The location of the mounting holes is detailed in the drawing seen here: Replacing the Nomad bed - #21 by robgrz

The “true” working area of the nomad extends a little past the boundaries of the 8x8" table, I would advise that you never have the spindle centerline go more than 1/8" beyond those bounds. The table can be surfaced in its entirety by a 1/4" endmill, but much beyond that and you risk crashing into a hard limit or into the tool probe.

1 Like

Winston, thank you for your quick response. I’m ordering a machine for work and it will only do one task in our production process. While cutting the tool will never get closer than 1/4" from the edge of the 8 x 8 table. Our motion will be limited to single X, Y & Z movements, no coordinated motion (arcs, curves, circles, etc). It is actually going to be a robotic drill press using a 1/8" end mill. The material is glass-reinforced plastic. Thanks again for your assistance.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.