Not cutting at same level

I am having an issue with the router bit not cutting at the same level on a letter directly next to the one it just cut. I had the depth of cut set for .040 and the first 2 letters in the word cut at maybe .005 to .010.
Anybody else have this issue or can offer help?

Is your machine on a steady/level surface?(having a sheet of foam under it is acceptable)

Is your machine mechanically sound?

Have you trammed your MDF slats so that they are all in-plane w/ the carriage/gantry movement?

What material are you cutting?

Using what tooling?

At what feeds and speeds?

What depth are you cutting the pockets to?

How consistent is your stock thickness?

Where/how are you setting zero relative to the stock?

Also check to make sure the tool you are using is secure in the collet. If they aren’t tight enough, they can gradually move.

1 Like

Tool path is attached. Hoping it shows up properly. The other attachment is what was cutting. The BE cut far shallower than the BRAVE letters. There was one other small section of the cut that did the same. The BE cut first and then the BRAVE and 10 minutes of cuts after the brave were fine. It’s almost like the cutter didn’t recognize the depth for the be as it did everything else. All letters were in same toolpath.

Had to put second image in next comment section.

Stock was planed to all same thickness.

This is puzzling. Bit was tight in the collet as well.

To repeat:

Is your machine on a steady/level surface? (having a sheet of foam under it is acceptable)

Is your machine mechanically sound?

Have you trammed your MDF slats so that they are all in-plane w/ the carriage/gantry movement?

Where/how are you setting zero relative to the stock?

Machine is in a steady surface and pinned to not allow side to side movement.

It is sound with no movement while in operation.

I have not “trammed” since setting up after putting it together 6 weeks ago.

Not exactly sure what you mean by tram but the mdf is all in the same plane.

Used the paper method (center point) to set zero.

This is the first project that I seem to have had this trouble with.

Please try tramming the MDF slats so that they are all even.

V carving is quite sensitive to variations in height.

Another option is to just face off the stock (removing the incomplete cut), then rotate it 180 degrees along the Y-axis (so that left side stays on the left and right side on the right) and then V carve into the back.

The R is one of the areas where it doesn’t seem like the program or g code cut the tool path properly. The tool path was a pocket for all the letters to be cut at same depth. You can clearly see that the inside of the R is raised. This is what has me stumped. Not sure why it would do this.

Are you running the program from local storage or a network drive? I’ve seen some weirdness, what appeared to be small sections of G code skipped, with the newer versions of CM even though it now preloads the G-code file. I never saw this in the old versions of CM. Copying to local storage first relieved the issue. It should not be necessary, I’m running a NAS and hard wired GB Ethernet, but the results say otherwise.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.