Novel way to get a headache

It is said that a quick way to get a headache is to bang one’s head against a brick wall. Well, I have discovered a new method - no quite a quick as the proverbial brick wall but over time the same result. If you are curious I am speaking about tramming (aligning) a Shapoko 3 spindle.

The problem is that to adjust the alignment one needs access to the 4 bolts/screws holding the spindle bracket to the moving Z plate. Unfortunately there is no way (or at least I can see no way) of accessing these screws unless the Z plate is removed from the X carriage assembly and the spindle removed from its mount.

As I understand it tramming is pretty much trial and error so the attached describes the process better than I can describe the actions required.

The Wiki is pretty relaxed about tramming I quote:

Tramming
One straight-forward approach is:
start to flatten the spoilboard and if I see ridges I stop and make adjustments.
start with .1 mm passes to surface the spoilboard but usually end up making adjustments enough times to end up taking about .5 mm off

If like me you have a 1" flycutter your ridges will be particularly pronounced so one needs to get the spindle almost ‘bang on’. Well, I feel a lot better after that little rant but - I still have that headache.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s part of why I am still using the old-style flat plate.

I’m adding a link back to your post though — okay if I add that information in a (slightly edited) form?

Where do you place your level, just curious, so I can learn/understand?
On the Axis, on top of router, next to router bit to see if 90 degree?

TMoses

Mine was not quite so bad…but still had headache to cure…

I use a Dial Indicator to determine the offset in the North South Direction. The dial indicator is attached to the spindle of the router.
Good explanation here

Then I found that I had to remove the springs from the Z axis & lower the Z axis till the v wheels nearly popped out from the base. I put a small block of wood to support the router/indicator Combo at this point - otherwise the whole lot falls out.

Then from the rear you can use the allen key to unscrew the two bolts holding the spindle mount by going through two holes in the plate. Loosen these bolts so that the spindle mount can be freed up. I found aluminium kitchen foil worked well as for shims. With the Dial indicator I could read what the offset was and with some callipers folded the kitchen foil to an approximate thickness. Then placed the shim either at top or bottom of the spindle mount depending on whether you are trying to move the spindle back or forward. Tighten bolts - put back Z axis and springs - move to same place where you measured the offset and check the correction - repeat if needed ( that’s where headache set in - I had to do this process twice).

Next - measure the West - East offset and do the same process with removing springs lowering axis and this time loosen the spindle bolts just enough so you can - with some reasonable effort - tilt the spindle mount - do this carefully so you dont move the shims you just added earlier! Put the Z axis back together and move the spindle mount to adjust the West-East alignment. When done carefully remove the springs and lower the Z axis again - gently so you can now fully tighten the spindle mounts through the access holes at the back of the plate one last time.

Put it all back together and check for accuracy.

Take a “headache pill” - aka have a beer - and wonder where the last 4 hours of your life went.!

3 Likes

Thanks Will, Feel free to do what you want including culling ‘headache’. I am seriously thinking of fitting a flat plate to my XL or somehow making a different spindle mount that is adjustable from the front of the machine. I wonder is anyone has tried either of these.

Tiger_MosesAlvin Moses13h
Where do you place your level, just curious, so I can learn/understand?
On the Axis, on top of router, next to router bit to see if 90 degree?

Levels are not used as all that matters is that the spindle is perpendicular on both axes to the base. There are a number of different methods used to do this but a common inexpensive way is demonstrated here, albeit with a drill-press but the principle equally applies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq48544ps1Y The link provided above by GaryA is very helpful with tramming a spindle. Hope this helps.

GaryA
Mine was not quite so bad…but still had headache to cure…
I use a Dial Indicator to determine the offset in the North South Direction. The dial indicator is attached to the spindle of the router.

Thanks Gary for your description on how to adjust, I will try that. I am interested on how you get a dial indicator under the X beam on the Shapeoko in the N/S direction, are they not to big? I have read where kitchen foil makes an excellent shim. You are right a beer or two would make an excellent panacea for this kind of headache.

1 Like