Official Carbide 3D Touch Probe in the Wild

(Luke) #4

It’s XYZ all at once or X/Y/Z independently - so all three axis.

0 Likes

(Reiner) #5

Nice! I hope it will also work with my Sparkfun Edition controller board.

1 Like

(Craig Cole) #6

Sweet!! The big question remains… When will it be available??

3 Likes

(William Adams) #7

It should work with the Sparkfun board — all the connections are broken out on it as pins, so it should be easy, but someone will need to puzzle out or document what connects where. @Jorge ?

1 Like

(Luke) #8

Here is a quick view of how I have set it up on my S3

Apologies for the shaky camera

5 Likes

(Luke) #9

Probing test!

I love this thing

Here is how quick you can find datum! This is awesome.

After playing with it, I do believe there is a offset on the datum X/Y - this is half the bits diameter - if you are using a 1/4 bit there will be a 1/8 offset. Depending on the work you are using you are doing you can program in this off-set if it’s needed.

Also I thought it would be fitting as this was won in an accessory contest to make an accessory for it!

Plans for fusion 360 and Carbide Create shortly.

7 Likes

Probe release info?
(Idan) #10

I’m curious why the interface doesn’t allow taking as input the tool size? What if I’m using non-Carbide3D tools?

0 Likes

(Luke) #11

Whilst I sway towards agreeing it’s not overly difficult to calculating the offset required.

I guess if they had every dimension bit under the sun they’d have a very large list.

1 Like

(Temujin Kuechle) #12

I needed one 2 months ago.

Let me get this straight, I will also need to upgrade the controller PCB (flash it) and use a newer version of CM?

Thanks!

0 Likes

(Temujin Kuechle) #13

I’m thinking that the list would be relatively short. There are metric and inch size end mills, and there are several standard sizes in both directions.
Maybe, there could be a way to add to this list? Maybe, copy and modify an existing end mill size?
Share these custom settings online somewhere?
And save them too, like in a library (folder) on ones computer/network.

0 Likes

(Luke) #14

Perhaps it will be a feature they add - I don’t know what plans they have. At present they only support 1/4, 1/8, 1/16.

Its easy enough to compensate using an offset.

0 Likes

(Idan) #15

Just let the user type in the size. They must have had a reason not to do it this way (doubt it’s technical).

3 Likes

(Luke) #16

Very logical, a great idea.

0 Likes

(John Werth) #17

Makes me wonder how how you’d use it with a tapered ball end. I guess you could run XYZ with a calibrated blank the same diameter as the shaft of the end mill to get a proper XY than replace the blank with the tapered end mill and run Z. Adds a little extra effort to the process but not anything major.

0 Likes

(John Mayhew) #18

So are these available to the public yet, or are they still in a beta test period?

3 Likes

(Luke) #19

I imagine very shortly.

@gixxergreko - unsure at the moment there are only ball and straight bit’s in carbide motion at present.

1 Like

(Temujin Kuechle) #20

A tapered ball end mill is usually a standard size at the depth of its radius (i.e. 1/16, 1/8, 1/4, 4mm, etc.). So, in this case, one only needs to move a tapered mill that radius distance in the -Z direction to perform a touch off for the remaining X and Y. But if the script defaults go to far in the -Z direction, then it will definitely be an issue for tapered cutters.
Are ther non-ball end mills?

0 Likes

(Luke) #21

Ball and flat are the only options at present

1 Like

(John Werth) #22

And only in sizes 1/16, 1/8 and 1/4.

1 Like

(Jim Amos) #23

Hoping Carbide will add dimensional support for tools (vs. the existing fixed drop-down options). Additionally, dimensional support for touch plates would be a win.

3 Likes