OLD TOPIC about installing probe

Hi,
I am trying to install the probe on a SO3 XXL, controller board 2.4d.
It doesn’t have the header to plug in the probe.
There is a “reserved” space for the header to be soldered to.
I am guessing that a header could soldered to the board?
What is the name of this header part, it has the pins sticking out of it?
Thanks
Tem

Does anything at: https://wiki.shapeoko.com/index.php/Shapeoko_3#Connectors help?

Does the adapter and instructions for 2.4d not work?

What I’m seeing on the probe is a female (has holes) connector. The PCB has an area specified as “reserved” printed on it, with 3 thru-holes circled.
There isn’t a connector present.
I’m not sure which of the connectors on the wiki would connect to the probe and solder to the pcb. That’s all. I will look through the wiki for a bit. Thank you.

This is the mating connector for the probe: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/molex/0022232031/WM4201-ND/26669

However the board should have come with the connector populated so we’d be happy to swap your board, just let us know at support@carbide3d.com

Thanks for the offer to replace the controller board.
I have soldered a few pcb’s, I’m ok at it.
I just corrected an issue I had with my Nomad 883 classic (I had to change pins for the upgrade to GRBL 1.1, I cut the wrong pin, I just switched the pins around).
If it’s cheaper and quicker for you to just send the connector that’s fine. If you want to replace the board, that works too.
I might check my local electronics store on Monday to see if they have something compatible. If not, then I’ll check what postage is for delivery of that one tiny connector from digi-key. I’ll try to get back to you on Monday about this little issue.

Hi Jorge,

I was able to find the MOLEX connectors and solder them into place at the reserved location on the controller board.
It looks like my computer is no longer able to connect to the Shapeoko3 XXL when the Probe is plugged in, assuming that I have oriented the connector correctly (release tab is on the board side, not the edge side of the PCB, I hope that makes sense).
I have searched the forums as much as I could (limited ability on what to search for) and the Shapeoko Wiki. I was not able to find a way to resolve the cutter not connecting error.
Maybe, it is just best to get another controller board.
The SO3 XXL was working fine until I tried to install the Probe.
The PCB was version 2.4d.

Thank you for your time.

I went ahead and ordered the new board. Thanks again for the offer.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.