Open Ground and Vacuum Safety

After becoming more educated on the finer points of HEPA filtration (thanks @mbellon) I started doing some research on what vacuum and cyclone combination I wanted. The Oneida cyclone looks really nice, but I noticed some reviews on Amazon suggesting that the Oneida-Festool combo had some static issues before Oneida added conductive tubing. So going over to Oneida’s site I see that the Oneida cyclone will limit warranty claims for festool vacuums that have had their circuit boards fried from static electricity (the newer Oneida’s are supposed to have fixed this problem though). Also, the static on the newer cyclones is discharged through the Festool’s ground wire when it’s plugged into a correctly wired 3 pronged outlet (afaik).

Now to the point, lol. I live in an older rental property that I am getting for a bargain (grad student here!) and I tested the ground of my outlets using a 3 prong socket tester and all of my outlets show that they have an open ground! I am rather worried that if I plug in my Festool + cyclone I going to fry my Festool’s circuit board and get shocked now.

Also, I think a 3 pronged outlet without a ground is a building code violation. Supposedly GFCI outlets can be installed to code without the ground wire attached to anything, but if I do that I am worried that the GFCI will only trip after a shock has caused damage.

Anyone here knowledgeable on these things and have any ideas on what I should do?

The Oneida cyclone looks really nice, but I noticed some reviews on Amazon suggesting that the Oneida-Festool combo had some static issues before Oneida added conductive tubing. So going over to Oneida’s site I see that the Oneida cyclone will limit warranty claims for festool vacuums that have had their circuit boards fried from static electricity (the newer Oneida’s are supposed to have fixed this problem though). Also, the static on the newer cyclones is discharged through the Festool’s ground wire when it’s plugged into a correctly wired 3 pronged outlet (afaik).

Bias: Festool and Oneida owner here.

The version one of the Oneida was a disaster; the plastic used INCREASED the static generation! Oneida has been shipping version two - conductive plastic - for almost two years. There are proof of independent lab evaluations available that show that things are fixed. They even have a check-it-yourself procedure on their WEB site.

Festool sells the Oneida directly from their WEB site now.

The entire chain, until it gets to the end, needs to grounded to prevent static build up. The Oneida version two, when installed with conductive tubing, is grounded to the Festool. The Festool has to be grounded for all this to work - the grounding prong must be connected to the wall.

Without a ground, the entire chain can easily each 15-20 KV; higher is possible. That can arc to the electrics (or you!) and fry things.

Make sure you follow the installation instructions properly. The Festool conductive tubing is pricey but first class. There are alternate sources. I’ll be running mine to my enclosure - and then to a brush head; the tubing to the Nomad will be 50 mm conductive, inside the enclosure 1.25" or a bit bigger if I can make it work.

The electrical code - I’m pretty sure this is true in all states - requires that if a grounded plug is present, and 3 wires are run through the wall, it must have a true ground and that the neutral and ground to be properly installed. If the building is very old and only has two pronged outlets, they are exempted from the requirements.

It is not uncommon for an older building to have 2 wires in the wall and grounded plugs… a misleading combination. If this is the case the 2 wires in the wall is an exception.

Anyone who installs a GFCI without a ground is given false hope - it does work but it’s not as safe or effective as with a real ground. Don’t run heavy machinery through a GFCI.

If you’re renting, I would strongly suggest talking to the owner(s) and pointing out that the sockets are dangerous. My computer is in danger is often the easiest to defend case. Before you do that, throw the breaker, pull off the cover plate and take a peak. It’s not uncommon for the ground wire to be there - and not hooked up.

In the worst case, if you have access to an earth ground, you can make the connection yourself.

I’ve had to deal with this due to the computers and equipment I use… and the Tesla coils. In every case where the ground was wrong, a polite request in a rental was met with a proper repair.

500KV@200Khz is very insistent about going to ground. It will go through you, possibly fatally, a wall (yes, sheetrock), a computer, an electrical socket, an appliance, a lamp. It’s amazing how it behaves. I take grounding quite seriously… :smiling_imp:

mark

Well it certainly makes me feel good that Festool sells the Oneida now! I’ll throw the circuit breaker and take a look to see if there are 3 wires down there (fingers crossed). The outlets are 3-pronged… My landlady hates spending money on the property. My neighbor’s Dad is an electrician and he has done some work in my neighbors apartment, perhaps I can get him to take a look at my place as well…

That’s good to know about the GFCI, the last thing I want is to be shocked by a sense of false hope…