Organizing/grouping your endmills

Hi all,

I’m considering how to organize my endmills, for when I get the Shapeoko assembled and up and running.

I’m considering either grouping them by shank/collet size, or by intended material.

How do you organize your endmills? When do you demote an endmill to use as a roughing endmill? Do you use both roughing and finishing endmills for work in wood/MDF/plywood?

There has been some previous discussion on this, and it depends on a number of factors:

• how many endmills you have
  • how many different materials you cut
  • how much record-keeping you wish to (are willing to) do

I use a couple of different machines which complicates things, and haven’t really found a system which is a good fit.

Job shops usually segregate endmills by materials and usage, sometimes having complicated hierarchies encompassing categories such as:

• a new endmill will be used for finishing passes in aluminum
  • a no longer new endmill will be used as an aluminum rougher
  • once worn it will be delegated to roughing in cast iron

I try for the much simpler:

• used endmills are for roughing
  • newer endmills are for finishing passes (need to get a stock of HSS tooling for that)
  • unused are spares and will be put to work for finishing passes when an endmill is delegated to roughing

I am hoping to be more organized when my Nomad 3 and Pro arrive, and have set aside two small notebooks to serve as machine logs, and I’m going to source a set of colored markers and work up a color-coding scheme where each time an endmill is used the label on the case is marked in a color based on material and in a shape (or symbol or letter) which denotes toolpath.

See previous discussion on record-keeping:

and see:

which has a PDF.

To actually answer the question, mine are in plastic organizers:

organized by:

• shank size
  • cutting diameter
  • endmill shape

in a larger version of that organizer:

https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storage-organization/parts-storage/organizers/multi-compartment-utility-box-40528.html

(I had to buy 3 of them to get enough of the front–back organizers — fortunately, they’re generally useful and I’ve got my leatherworking tools and various other things in the overflow)

Odd tooling as well as a couple of most frequently used ones are in the smaller one shown in the forum link.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.