OS X Tool Library Problem - Can't seem to add tools and multiple tools in library

Good morning to all. I am relatively new to the whole CNC world and really like the simplicity of CC as well as the fact that it works with OS X. I have been doing more complex projects in Adobe Illustrator. Although I have issues importing the Illustrator SVG files into CC I bring them 1st into Inkscape potentially to both simplify the drawings as well as save them out as simple SVG files that CC imports without issue.

My problem is that I can not seem to add any tool bits to the library and also there are many multiple tools of the same type. If I remember correctly tool #17 - 56 are exactly the same tool. I’ve looked through the software part of the forum and haven’t seen anyone experiencing the same problem. I have several computers with different OS versions and both show the same issues.

Any ideas?

• Mark -

Tool #17 is most likely a tool that was added to your tool library by you. At least that’s how it worked on my system. The 3-digit tool numbers (#101 thru #351 on my system) are built-in tools that are not editable. When you click “Add Tool” a new 2-digit tool number is created (the next number in the sequence starting with #17). These tools are editable. You pick the tool type in the pull-down menu, type a description and diameter, etc. You can also change the tool number if you want. Clicking OK adds the new, edited tool to your library. Then close the library window (click the X in the upper right corner on Windows, not sure on OS X).

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply. I did think of that as a possibility. Do you know where the tool library info is located on a Mac? Thinking that I may have had something to do with those tool numbers I deleted CC from my Mac and loaded a fresh copy. Those numbers were part of the library in the new version as well.

If you’re using the current version build 431 (and you should be), you can do App menu | About … | Open Data Directory to get to a Carbide Create folder which contains a .ini file which has the tools.

For adding tools: http://docs.carbide3d.com/assembly/carbidecreate/video-tutorials/#custom-tools

If you select a tool before clicking on “Add Tool” the selected tool will be used as a template for the new one.

• Toolpath
  • Edit Library
  • Add Tool
  • double-click on the new tool to go into edit mode
  • edit as needed
  • Ok
  • close window

I just tested on my Mac OS 10.15 with Carbide Create 431 and I can add a new tool.

1 Like

Thanks you you all! I had watched that video but still missed something when I actually tried the process. Following it as I did the process in CC WORKED! Thanks again for the help.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.