Outstanding Boolean Tutorial - Affinity Designer

This is a a short turorial (10:56) for folks with Affinity Designer. I was refreshing my understanding of Xor and discovered this simple tutorial for Boolean operations. The added sauce in this lesson is the creation of non-destructive compounds instead of destructive boolean operations. I had not realised their value.

3 Likes

Yeah, Macromedia Freehand managed to do all that by just adding a keyboard modifier (shift) which would leave the original geometry behind when one wished it — this is far more flexible, and avoids the need for the computer-styled “Xor” division.

1 Like

Yes Will, Freehand was an intelligent piece of software.

FWIW; From Adobe’s own site, I cannot find a useable copy available for anything more recent than a Macintosh with a 500Hz Power PC G3 CPU. The last listed Windows versions are for Win 98SE, Win XP and Win 2k… for a 600 MHz Pentium III.

:thinking:

Looking around the web, one can see that there are some fully cracked copies of Freehand MX v 11.02 and these are routinely available from several different sources. Maybe some intense futzing around would see it working. I could certainly use an older version of Windows than 10, in my Parallels virtual machine.

I have no interest in chiseling the developers/owners and will not use any software that is not properly purchased. I know that Freehand has not been updated for at least four years, to the best of my knowledge. Regardless of my opinion of the Adobe corporation I will not descend into cheap, penny pinching, dubious conduct.

I certainly do lament not having the access to that brilliant piece of software but I will use what I have because its all that I have. My post was made in an effort to assist the folk with AD. There will be many new people in the Carbide 3D community who will be using AD for the first time. This is since the Serif company’s extensive 50% special offer because of COVID-19. I thought that this well produced guide to Boolean operations would be both instructive and possibly valued.

From Adobe Systems Web Pages: system requirements.
https://www.adobe.com/mena_en/products/freehand/productinfo/systemreqs/

From Adobe System Web Pages: Authorised Partners.
https://www.adobe.com/mena_en/purchase/

The annoying thing is, Serif’s Affinity Design was consciously modeled on Freehand (as was GraviT — as Quasado, they actually stumped for donations, which I kicked in some money on), but they won’t go fully on-board w/ just doing what Freehand did, in the way it did.

Really enjoyed being one of the beta-testers, and rather worried about what I’ll do when it stops running — apparently some folks have it running in a virtual machine on Windows, while other folks on Mac OS X found it most expedient to just run the Windows version on Parallels.

Still salty that Adobe was allowed to buy it almost ten years to the day after a Federal judge ordered that they couldn’t purchase competing graphic design software for a decade, and also annoyed that Microsoft and Adobe whining about not being able to port their software resulted in Carbon and the attendant compromises in terms of utility and consistency — Freehand, having formerly been the NeXTstep program Altsys Virtuoso probably would have been one of the first programs available for Rhapsody.

I keep nudging folks over on the GNUstep team that they should look at Freehand and TouchType and other NeXT apps for UI concepts.

It’s disappointing CC can’t do the more complex Boolean features. Or can it?

At this time, Carbide Create does not handle composite paths for Boolean subtraction/intersection.

This may change in v6 (or it might not) which should be in public beta in a couple of weeks as noted at:

Sorry, Will. I knew that, of course.

This is a really good video, though. Thanks for sharing, Jeff!

1 Like

In many respects we all stand on the shoulders of those that passed the same way before we did. I don’t see any reason for Serif to follow anything.They started out with PageStar and PagePlus and sat uncomfortably in a not quite ready for primetime spot for many years. Neither fish nor fowl and having difficulty gaining traction with Adobe’s Photoshop Elements in the mix.

I may be wrong here but my thinking was that Affinity Photo (AP) was about 5 years in development and it has to be said that some ex Photoshop users have actually found much to like in AP. Live filters and inpainting to name but two. Affinity Designer (AD) is a good fit if you have only ever struggled (in its latter years) with Illustrator. Can these two applications, alongside Affinity Publisher (APub), serve the needs of the Pre-press graphic design community?

Yes, they undoubtedly can if you discount imposition, which itself is a separate entity and may be done by the RIP (Fiery) as a PDF (Imposition Studio) or using imposition software such as Apogee. One needs to be able to select work and turn, N-UP, Cut and Stack work and tumble, booklets &c. The imposition activity is beyond the scope of design software.

Vested interests are just that… vested, which is why they don’t act in the interests of the consumer.

No worries, Peter.
I thought it was a model of clarity so I posted it here so that other people may benefit from the simple explanations. It also solved my memory lapse for Xor.

:grin:

You’ve got a memory? Well done you :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

You may not know this idiom but I will try it anyway…

/Jeff swings the light

Is that a TocH lamp, I see swinging…?

I am not THAT dim!
:wink:

Not quite. It was common in the military during my service years that when a person engaged in telling any tale, the idiom was used to suggest that every one needed to settle down (in an air raid shelter of world war II) and listen to a very long tale. The swinging light idiom (from the ongoing war) was the cue that the narrator was going to go on and on and on… endlessly.

:smiley:

Lots of folks using them thus.

Imposition should be left to the folks running the presses and binding equipment. That said, it’s pretty simple to do basic forms w/ a bit of PostScript or other programming or scripting.

Agreed! I have done it using RiscOS on an Acorn Archimedes and Impression (genuine CTP software). 16 Page, process colour, tabloid sized newspaper, with CMYK Photoshop separations with registration marks, printed on an A2/A3 sized Canon BJ330 bubblejet printer in monochrome. Easily good enough for newsprint.

Hmm, are you trying to tell me something?

Only that my fading memory these days has to rely on where to find the information given that it wont be inside any of my internal filing cabinets.

:smiley:

1 Like