P2c series inverter

Anyone here have any experience connecting a Hy p2c series inverter to run the spindle throught CM? the connection panel has a different layout then every thread I have seen on here.

Hi,

I suppose you don’t have the user manual for that VFD ? I tried and googled it with zero success, the best I could find was a couple of youtube videos from the Huanyang channel that have “P2” in their title, the only one that shows the exact same layout as your is this one but it’s not helpful.

My guess would be the PWM output from the Shapeoko should go to either “10V” or one of the “AI” (analog input), but without a user manual it’s pure conjecture so don’t go connecting anything until you have actual info. If you don’t have the manual, maybe contact Huanyang to get it ?

1 Like

Hey Julien,
Oddly enough I was sent the manual for the older series. I have contacted them and they sent me the correct one. Lucky I am can cross reference the two and try and figure it out. I think you are right about AI to the PWM and I think then it would be just gnd to gnd? I am not too sure. Here is the manual just no to sure what parameters I will have to change yet.

2 Likes

Note that the PWM signal on the Shapeoko controller is 0-5V, so hopefully that JP2 jumper can be set to adjust the voltage range to 0-5V instead of 0-10V. If not, you’ll need to get a 5/10V adapter (which could be an opportunity to isolate the shapeoko controller from the VFD too)

To confirm whether AI1 is the correct input, there must be some other info in the manual where the VFD parameters are described, mentioning it. If you don’t mind posting the manual they sent, we can take a look.

1 Like

Here is a link to what was sent to me.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/17oP8wp2VkOd9kX2Pr7qfoR9vIBbNTL9s/view?usp=drive_web

I could find some stuff on page 28 about upper and lower limits.
What would be the advantage to Isolating the two? I hate to say it but my knowledge is pretty minimal.

Can you set the permission to the file to “everyone who has the link” or authorize my access request ?

PWM isolation: it’s not mandatory, but it can be useful to

• avoid the risk of picking up noise from the VFD and injecting it into the controller, which could theoretically lead to EMI-related USB disconnects.
  • protect your Shapeoko controller in case the VFD undergoes a major electronic failure and can potentially send high voltage back over the PWM line. I would never have thought of this a year ago, but a few months back there was a post on the forum reporting this. I can’t seem to find that thread right now, but it was scary to think about 110V being carried across the PWM wire back into the controller board.

That said, I have been using a direct (non-isolated) connection between my Shapeoko controller and VFD for two years and never had any issues so far (that’s the thing with failures, everything is fine until they happen…I should probably do something about it before it’s too late)

2 Likes

I think this may be the thread you are thinking of;

2 Likes

@LiamN: yes!
@ge-off: got access thanks, it’s getting late I’ll check tomorrow but from what I see you should be able to use AI2 for PWM, set F0.02 to 2 to select AI2 as the RPM source, and then set F1.13 through F1.16 such that 0 to 5v corresponds to 0 to 100% of max RPM. EDIT: you likely only need to set F1.15 to 5.00.
Edit: AI1 works too, just different settings to adjust.

That’s for managing the PWM input, there are a number of other parameters to fit your spindle specs, but maybe you did that already if you used your spindle in manual mode and you “just” want to connect it to the Shapeoko controller now ?

That was my disaster. Still haven’t truly fixed it as I cant have my tablet plugged in.

Long story short the vfd failed and sent enough power back to the pwm Pins on the board to throw sparks everywhere.

I’m still not sure the board is 100% but it functions.

That is something to take into consideration. The last thing I need to do is fry the shapeoko. @Julien I will look into it more. I am actually still waiting for the HDZ to show up, which shoud be tomorrow. Once I get everything set up I will report back on how it all went I really appreciate your help.

1 Like

In this thread;

Cthululabs uses a EM isolator chip to separate his microcontroller from the PWM pin of the Carbide controller.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.